Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sizing photo on layer
When I bring in a photo 1600w by 2500h, gimp creates a window that is of these dinensions, but the photo is much smaller within the window, surrounded by white borders. Cropping leaves me with a photo of too few pixels. I want the photo to fill the allocated window. 
The white borders aren't added by Gimp, they are part of the loaded picture. After cropping, use Image>Scale image. but if the size you want (in pixels) is significantly bigger that the useful size of your initial picture, the result may appear blurry.
I scanned original photos at 600 dpi/ppi and they ended up 2-4 times larger - the small ones did. Large ones will be able to be printed at double the size. So you can see more information etc. while working with them

If you want your photo to reach the borders of the canvas crop it as ofnuts suggested then put a white border on it when you are finished.

Smile
(11-09-2017, 06:29 AM)sallyanne Wrote: I scanned original photos at 600 dpi/ppi and they ended up 2-4 times larger - the small ones did. Large ones will be able to be printed at double the size. So you can see more information etc. while working with them

If you want your photo to reach the borders of the canvas crop it as ofnuts suggested then put a white border on it when you are finished.

Thanks for the support. I think the white around the photo may have been my doing. I am new to this and probably did something I forgot about or didn't intend to do to cause the borders, after bringing in the original pic. No other pictures had such a border after bringing them into Gimp. I do want to mention something that may be helpful to other new users. I kept finding that no matter the pixel length-width set on the camera, after bringing them into Gimp, Gimp showed them as 1600x1200, not dense enough for my purposes. I had been getting the pic's onto my pc and then to Gimp by sending the pic directly from the camera to my email account via wifi. I then pulled the pic from the email (gmail) down to the pc and then to Gimp.

It finally occurred to me to use the usb cable from the phone directly to the pc. That was the key. The PC and Gimp showed the photo dimensions exactly as set on the camera.