Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Layer view
Hello everyone,

i have decided to take the step and leave Windows for good and use linux also in my professionial work as a graphics designer. As i understand it, GIMP is the software to replace my Photoshop that i am using under Win.

GIMP looks great and feels good, but when i open files with layers and change between them it always takes a while till the chosen layer has been built up. Since the layers are one of my most-used features this is a bit annoying. This occurs also under windows and also under very strong processing units.

Has anyone experience with this. Am i the only one who gets disturbed by this? Is GIMP simply that much slower than PS? I just don't think so. This held me away from professionally using LINUX and GIMP since 5 Years and now i decided to just ask. Maybe there can be something done about it.

My files are rather large (600dpi) and they must be since they are designed for offset-print. And the have a lot of layers. Up to 50 sometimes and more.

Okay, i hope there is no one annoyed by my question since i am really looking forward to use open-source as a profesional.
Greetings and thanks in advance
Heinrich
How much RAM have you got?  What is Edit ➤ Preferences ➤ Systems Resources ➤ Resource consumption ➤ Tile cache size set to? This should be the size of your RAM minus what you think your regular apps need. If set too small, Gimp doesn't use all your RAM and swaps data to disk.
Thank you very much for answering so quick!

I changed the tile-size-value to 10 gigabyte now since i have 12 gig of ram. But it didn't have an effect. Thanks anyway for showing me this feature which is very essential i guess.

i noticed, that when i fill an area with a color i have the same delay. it is not like i have to wait for minutes but this process of seeing a layer or an area being displayed or filled somehow distracts from the work process. Since the overall appearance of GIMP is so superprofessional and nice i just can't imagine that the algorithms of the software are too slow.

But maybe i am asking too much. I will try to get along anyway.

Greetings
Heinrich
No answer, but more details will perhaps help get more suggestions.

Which version of linux ? Which sub-version of Gimp (use Help -> About)
12 GB of memory should be more than adequate but how much free disk space is available ?
How big in memory (see bottom of Gimp window) is this 50 layer image ? and image size in pixels (see top of Gimp window)
Hi,

yes i think you are right.

It is Manjaro Linux, the latest version minimal installation-iso with Plasma-Desktop 5.21.3. fresh install as dual-boot with win7.
GIMP is version 2.10.22

The disksize for the linux-partition is 30GiB with 9.46GiB being used. I could resize this if necessary.

One picture file is 2.1 GB in size, it is rgb-color after an import-procedure since it is an .psd-file originally. It has 15 layers and 7000x4860px in 600ppi.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!
Heinrich

ah i forgot:

swap is 10 GiB.
(04-02-2021, 05:54 PM)HEINRICH_VON_KLEIST Wrote: Hi,

yes i think you are right.

It is Manjaro Linux, the latest version minimal installation-iso with Plasma-Desktop 5.21.3. fresh install as dual-boot with win7.
GIMP is version 2.10.22

The disksize for the linux-partition is 30GiB with 9.46GiB being used. I could resize this if necessary.

One picture file is 2.1 GB in size, it is rgb-color after an import-procedure since it is an .psd-file originally. It has 15 layers and 7000x4860px in 600ppi.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!
Heinrich

ah i forgot:

swap is 10 GiB.

What says Edit ➤ Preferences ➤ Systems Resources ➤ Resource consumption ➤ Number of threads to use?

Ans what is your CPU model?
number of threads to use: 4

cpu: 4 x intel Core i5-3210M cpu @ 2.50GHz
Not much different from your set up: using Kubuntu 18.04 / Gimp 2.10.22 / 8 GB memory / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz

7000 x 4860 pix is a large image, for a new image Gimp gives a 317 MB size notification.

However if I auto-generate some layers (15) all different sizes and a bit of editing I can get up 1.9 GB in memory I can recover some of that from the undo dock. https://i.imgur.com/ogGjNHm.jpg

Big image will be slow, the only thing I can suggest is Edit -> Preferences -> Interface and disable Layer Channel Previews and Layer Group Previews That might get a little improvement https://i.imgur.com/8GaylmN.jpg