Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smooth strokes without weight
Is there any way to draw smooth lines without adding weight in smooth strokes? The delay it causes between the brush and cursor makes it pretty frustrating to use. And I emphazise the word "draw", I am not asking about afterwards edit.
There needs to be a lag for a smooth stroke. The brush averages out the movements of the cursor to produce the smooth stroke. If there was no lag the brush would follow the cursor exactly and there would be no smooth stroke.
I was afraid that was the chase. Thanks.
(10-03-2018, 03:44 PM)RogueActor Wrote: Is there any way to draw smooth lines without adding weight in smooth strokes? The delay it causes between the brush and cursor makes it pretty frustrating to use. And I emphazise the word "draw", I am not asking about afterwards edit.

Hopefully one day there will be a smooth stroke that is background threaded, where you draw normally (fast) and the smoothing happens on another thread either when you end the stroke or just follows behind it. Illustrator has a paint tool that does this, it is nice because it feels faster that way, you draw normally, unsmoothed and when the stroke ends it quickly works out the smooth version which i suspect was being precalculated during paint time.  

This would most certainly call for major changes in processing however and I don't know if the current developers are up for that given their huge workload of bugs, requests for features/builds/fixes, etc.  However, all isn't lost there are MANY plugins for gimp, so you might even find one that changes this behavior, anything is possible with gimp. Lastly, you might be able to get some hardware that has stabilization features or write a driver that does this on the fly (easy right!! LOL Smile)

-o

Dulled by excess and cynic at best