Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some plugins not working
Because I had no idea that there are other options Smile

I tried it first and it worked. So sticking to it until now.
Hello, Smile

Ofnuts, I also use the "difference of gaussians (legacy) (I've used it in "Comic book"). I don't know how to obtain the same result with the GEGL version Confused (I've made many tries).
How do you do it (in addition to invert)? (I hope I am not off topic).
(06-27-2021, 10:53 AM)cli345 Wrote: Hello, Smile

Ofnuts, I also use the "difference of gaussians (legacy) (I've used it in "Comic book"). I don't know how to obtain the same result with the GEGL version Confused (I've made many tries).

Try with value below 1 for both sliders, something like between 0.250 and 0.6xx which should ~equal the legacy default values (but I do prefer the rendering of the legacy)
(06-27-2021, 10:53 AM)cli345 Wrote: Hello, Smile

Define "same" Smile What is the difference between the two that makes the GEGL version unusable for you?

Can you recognize the GEGL and the Legacy version below?

Also, why use the rather crude DoG algorithm when you hame some better ones in Filters ➤ Edge-detect ➤ Edge...

(06-27-2021, 10:53 AM)cli345 Wrote: ..snip... I also use the "difference of gaussians (legacy) (I've used it in "Comic book"). I don't know how to obtain the same result with the GEGL version Confused (I've made many tries).
..snip..

Have a look through the gmic filters for possible replacements: This one of the samj filters. All variables either min or max so no great choice is a problem. There might be other suitable filters. https://i.imgur.com/Ikob5rV.jpg Edit: A quick browse through testing & a couple of possibilities: Joan Rake gradient norm / Naggobot smooth sketch .

In anticipation of the next release of gmic you might want to check out this from david tschumperle https://discuss.pixls.us/t/bug-latest-gm...24/25607/7 about syntax
(06-27-2021, 12:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: [quote='cli345' pid='24249' dateline='1624791187']
Hello, Smile
........./
Can you recognize the GEGL and the Legacy version below?

/........

Yep, definitively not the same rendering, at first glance the right is the GEGL (although you can get the same effect on both, but from what I saw, GEGL has tendency to bleed more easily (legacy can bleed, though) and draw on the outside, while legacy has tendency to draw on the inside (I did not push too much the sliders, though) )

Looks like a Fouga 90/magister? but I don't recognize the tail, a variation for the marine?
(06-27-2021, 12:52 PM)PixLab Wrote: Looks like a Fouga 90/magister? but I don't recognize the tail, a variation for the marine?

Morane-Saulnier MS-760 "Paris". A derivative of a competitor to the Fouga in the same Army procurement bid, so identical twin Marboré engines.
Thank you very much, PixLab, Ofnuts, rich2005, for your answers Smile
I've expressed myself badly. I've just verified in a dictionary : "same" might mean "similar". But I meant "exactly identical".
I try to explain:

PixLab Wrote:...snip... between 0.250 and 0.6 ...snip...
Yes, that is a little similar. Thanks for the figures (I didn't know which unities the two filters used).

Ofnuts Wrote:...snip... some better ones in Filters -> Edge-detect -> Edge ...snip...
rich2005 Wrote:...snip... Joan Rake gradient norm ...snip... Naggobot smooth sketch ...snip...
These filters are great but they stroke the edges astride the edges. This is very good for technical drawings but, for cartoons, it enlarges the eyes of humans and of all the dark zones and this gives a bad result.

Sobel:

difference of gaussians (legacy):

PixLab Wrote:...snip... GEGL ...snip... draw on the outside ...snip... legacy ...snip... draw on the inside ...snip...
Yes, one advantage of "difference of gaussians (legacy)" is: it strokes the edges on the darker side of the edge.

Strokes on the darker side can be obtained by firstly "colors->invert"-ing the image. But the result is more noisy (after desaturate, invert, adjust with curves) (I think it's not so easy to denoise without loosing some edges):

GEGL:

legacy:

rich2005 Wrote:check out this from david tschumperle
This is a very interesting aside. Thanks.
@ofnuts, " Edge " looks impressive. I had to use invert + colour to Grey. But very impressive outline. Smile
(06-27-2021, 05:01 PM)meetdilip Wrote: @ofnuts, " Edge " looks impressive. I had to use invert + colour to Grey. But very impressive outline. Smile

Actually all these filters work better if you first convert the picture to grayscale. After that it depends which algorithm you use ("differential" looks like a close cousin of Difference of Gaussian)