Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System memory usage after closing all imagess
Bug 
After editing images and closing all, system memory usage still remain as before and even layers list and undo history remain.
I have to close Gimp to free all memory.
How to avoid it without restart Gimp?

On Windows 10 with 16GB ram, ssd and AMD Ryzen 5.
If you have a Layers list with layers in it you have an image. Are there any images listed in WIndows > Dockable dialogs > Images? Scripts may create temporary images without a "Display", so they don't appear in the UI, and then forget to delete them on termination.
The file is 4+GB (but happens even with a small one) and this is the situation after opening and closing it, without any operation (undo history empty):

There no other opened app, this is the memory allocated:

As you suggest I've checked the Images window. It's yet present. But when I delete it this is what happens:

And then GIMP close immediately.
I don't know if this happened on Win7 or earlier versions of GIMP (2.10.28, I've just update to the last 2.10.30, the same)
So, your fist image shows that there are no "user" images (since you have WIlber's head) but there is a pretty big image remaining, so some script/plugin must have created it, possibly by duplicating one of your "user" images. The undo history is empty likely because the undo stack has been disabled on that image (routinely done on such images since the users won't be able to Ctr-Z on them anyway, and this spares memory and CPU time).
(12-23-2021, 11:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: So, your fist image shows that there are no "user" images (since you have WIlber's head) but there is a pretty big image remaining, so some script/plugin must have created it, possibly by duplicating one of your "user" images. The undo history is empty likely because the undo stack has been disabled on that image (routinely done on such images since the users won't be able to Ctr-Z on them anyway, and this spares memory and CPU time).

Nope, to replicate the behaviour I just open and immediately close it. The undo history is empty because I've done nothing more than open and then close the image.
If you close it it should be removed from the image list. The only way I can find to have an empty Gimp image window 1 while still having an image in the Images list 2 and showing its layers in the Layers list 3 is to load/create it from a script. If you create an image from the GUI (File ➤ Open or File ➤ New), closing its associated image window(s) removes it from Gimp and it no longer appears in the image list.
Yesm It should be as everybody knows. But it don't happens, as I show.
Layers list is not empty, image list is not empty, memory is not freed. Closing the image from the image dockable window cause an unhandled exception. Only in this way (an making crashing GIMP) or closing GIMP the memory is freed.
Then you can report a bug.
I'm doing. I thought it was reproducible behavior and I wasn't the only one it happens to. It is the first time that I have noticed it. I have no way to test it on Windows 7. Thanks