Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terminology or else
I am writing a script that can work either on vertical or horizontal objects. I need words/expression that refer to

* left/right when working horizontally, and top/bottom when working vertically (begin and end of the "main" direction)
* top/bottom when working horizontally, and left/right when working vertically (begin and end of the "transverse" direction)

Because if I have a single UI, I can't change this dynamically in the input dialog when the user changes the orientation choice.

An alternative is to have two menu entries, one for each orientation, leading to two dialogs and have each dialog use the relevant usual terms.

€0.01 for you thoughts.
Maybe...

Cardinal points and collateral points.
North, south, east and west.
Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest

Degrees (angles) - 0, 90, 180, 270
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Classic like print vocabulary? (if we knew what this thing will do, might be easier for us, give more context)

[Image: AxVwVjj.png]
(02-01-2023, 07:12 AM)PixLab Wrote: Classic like print vocabulary? (if we knew what this thing will do, might be easier for us, give more context)

This.

So there is the horizontal cylinder:

And the vertical one:

And I'm looking for terminology where 1/2/3/4 can have the same name in both.

But the more I look at it, the more it looks like the double menu entry is going to make it simpler (especially since I have a way to define the labels without duplicating code).
1-2 is the centre line of the cylinder
horizontal or vertical centre line
(but some people won't understand that)
Maybe use the GIMP wording, to be "more standard" (if I can say that)? I mean there is something "alike" in GIMP... (if and only if, I understood what you would like to do)
Wording would be like " Curvature Amount" Left, right, bottom, top? just an idea...

A screenshot with spherize in horizontal mode, just for the wording GIMP is using.

(02-01-2023, 12:02 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I am writing a script that can work either on vertical or horizontal objects. I need words/expression that refer to

* left/right when working horizontally, and top/bottom when working vertically (begin and end of the "main" direction)
* top/bottom when working horizontally, and left/right when working vertically (begin and end of the "transverse" direction)

Because if I have a single UI, I can't change this dynamically in the input dialog when the user changes the orientation choice.

An alternative is to have two menu entries, one for each orientation, leading to two dialogs and have each dialog use the relevant usual terms.

€0.01 for you thoughts.

Suggest you consider common land surveying terms, many to choose from (baseline, rangeline, meridian, etc)  and you might even find use for azimuth, if you want to get skewed.