Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I should have thrown out long ago.
Hunting for an old printer cable, found an envelope packed full of 3.5" / 5.25" / compact cassette / VHS adhesive labels...examples and an old 5.25" FD as  background Wink 

What are you hoarding ?
(09-30-2021, 09:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Hunting for an old printer cable, found an envelope packed full of 3.5" / 5.25" / compact cassette / VHS adhesive labels...examples and an old 5.25" FD as  background Wink 

What are you hoarding ?

Blank punch cards, and my magnetic nameplate for my office door. Personal office space disappeared at about the same time as punch cards Smile

But the most surprising thing I found in my box of computer parts was a ring that my wife inherited from her grandmother and that had been considered lost for over three years, possibly traded for candies at school by one of the kids. There was great rejoicing.
Almost the same. Found a few floppy disks lying around last month. Audio cassettes, video tapes were there, but they are hiding for now.
As well as vast numbers of cables, I have just come across an Epson LX86 dot matrix printer with a tractor drive and half a box of listing paper!
Out of curiosity, before I throw it out, I have just tested it. It works perfectly, although the ribbon has long dried out.
(10-09-2021, 03:53 PM)david Wrote: As well as vast numbers of cables, I have just come across an Epson LX86 dot matrix printer with a tractor drive and half a box of listing paper!
Out of curiosity, before I throw it out, I have just tested it. It works perfectly, although the ribbon has long dried out.

You still have a PC with a parallel port? Now, that's something I would have thrown out long ago...

PS: Blast from the past: one of my first task in my first job was to write a program to drive an EPROM programmer using the PC's parallel port.
(10-09-2021, 07:39 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: You still have a PC with a parallel port? Now, that's something I would have thrown out long ago...

Still have... Big Grin Big Grin  
I should plug it, because I don't recall if it's a pentium 3 or 4

The front very "geeky" Big Grin (OK, I was younger Blush )

Motherboard about 18 months old with an AMD 8350 processor and 32 GB RAM. It has a parallel port outlet on the motherboard which I connected to the outside world so that I could use my ancient HP 1120C wide printer. The printer is very slow, but the quality is good, and A3 printers are expensive!
I was thinking of a Centronics port.

This said, my latest house-build with a Gigabyte MB, done in 2012, had already lost the printer port... The previous one (2008) had a printer port.
(10-10-2021, 11:20 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I was thinking of a Centronics port.

This said, my latest house-build with a Gigabyte MB, done in 2012, had already lost the printer port... The previous one (2008) had a printer port.

Much the same here, My home-build is about that vintage, with various bits swapped out over the years.

However, one that I should really throw out. I have come close a few times. A Thinkpad x61 (with docking station) running Windows XP needed for that Hauppauge  Video grabber.  I do not do much real video these days Wink

Very dirty backside Smile