Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you wish you knew at your start with GIMP
(03-14-2018, 04:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The registry is still available, but in read-only/archive  mode. gimpscripts.com is commatose/dead.

it is important to have an active resource live!  i mean we are using scripts from years ago , i am asking what will happen in the coming years , we will have update Vers of  gimp but the plugins and scripts still as it ..

gimp without plugins and scripts can not stand ..
(03-14-2018, 07:42 PM)unknown7 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 04:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The registry is still available, but in read-only/archive  mode. gimpscripts.com is commatose/dead.

it is important to have an active resource live!  i mean we are using scripts from years ago , i am asking what will happen in the coming years , we will have update Vers of  gimp but the plugins and scripts still as it ..

gimp without plugins and scripts can not stand ..

Not as bad as it looks. IMHO the scripts plug-ins can be divided in three groups:
  • the biggies, with a lot of "science" and development effort: resynthesize, GMIC, liquid rescale, etc. These aren't distributed via the registry. The bigger risk for them is the requirement to be reworked to support the high bit depth in Gimp 2.10+, but AFAIK this is already done for most.
  • the popular ones: no risk for them to disappear, there will always be someone with the source code. But many of them will require rework to fully support Gimp 2.10+. It may be easier to rewrite them from scratch
  • the small fry: plenty of scripts that are useful to only a handful of people. The registry needed some cleanup anyway. Many of them can be rewritten in an afternoon. To paraphrase Arnaud Amalric, "Erase them all and let Darwin sort them out".
also:
http://gimpchat.com/viewforum.php?f=9&start=0
(03-14-2018, 10:37 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:  Not as bad as it looks. IMHO the scripts plug-ins can be divided in three groups:
 , We do not know what will happen in the future, and hope that loopholes, lacks and issues will be resolved , that is why we show this weakness points of gimp! ..