Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Snapping not working
Not too long ago I upgraded from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10 (and now to 2.10.6) and now it seems that the Tool Snapping has stopped working.
It doesn't matter what kind of snapping I activate, none of them have a single effect on anything.
I've tried setting the Snapping distance higher, but it also didn't work.

I would appreciate any help.

Edit:
Snapping does still work, but the Snapping distance in the settings and the actual distance while editing aren't the same.
Setting the distance to 64 will result the actual snapping distance to be only 2 pixels.
The ratio of distance in settings and actual distance in editor is 32:1.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance.
I can not duplicate the problem. This an all-in-one https://i.imgur.com/dj96VdU.jpg - working here.

Perhaps if you give some actual settings, grid sizes, tool(s) used, snap setting someone will have an answer.

If the worst comes to the worst, disable your old Gimp 2.8 profile so settings are not migrated, rename the new Gimp 2.10 profile as a back-up, then start Gimp 2.10 to create a new default profile.
(10-27-2018, 03:56 PM)SpEZiiL Wrote: Not too long ago I upgraded from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10 (and now to 2.10.6) and now it seems that the Tool Snapping has stopped working.
It doesn't matter what kind of snapping I activate, none of them have a single effect on anything.

Edit:
Snapping does still work, but the Snapping distance in the settings and the actual distance while editing aren't the same.
Setting the distance to 64 will result the actual snapping distance to be only 2 pixels.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell, what you set is a physical snapping distance (these are 64 pixels on your screen), in other words the actual  snapping distance in the image will depend on the zoom factor: at 100% it is 64pixels, but if you zoom 32x, it is two pixels in the side rulers.
(10-27-2018, 04:48 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 03:56 PM)SpEZiiL Wrote: Not too long ago I upgraded from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10 (and now to 2.10.6) and now it seems that the Tool Snapping has stopped working.

Edit:

Thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell, what you set is a physical snapping distance (these are 64 pixels on your screen), in other words the actual  snapping distance in the image will depend on the zoom factor: at 100% it is 64pixels, but if you zoom 32x, it is two pixels in the side rulers.

That seems to be the case, I didn't know that, thank you.
Is there any way to change this to not be physical but depending on the distance of the pixels in the image, not the display, instead?
AFAIK you can't and IMHO that would be pointless.The purpose of snapping is to help your hand, and the accuracy of your mouse moves is related to the physical screen.
(10-27-2018, 07:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: AFAIK you can't and IMHO that would be pointless. The purpose of snapping is to help your hand, and the accuracy of your mouse moves is related to the physical screen.

Let us revisit, a few years have now passed.

Well, I've found that assuming a feature is pointless is a damning mistake. The first thing learned in software development and target relation is that for every 1 feature request, there is probably at least 10 more that want the same thing. But they won't request it because they either don't want to be rejected or don't think someone would listen to their request. But if a piece of software adds features that are uncommon or unheard of--that is how it gets ahead of its competitors. If the feature is so imposing, then just have it be off by default, it might take the software in a new direction or help in unknown ways. 

For me, I've been using graphics software so long now that my mind auto-converts the pixels on the fly when I zoom and I would expect a program that allows for the brush/tool to be relative or not to the screen, the snap feature should have that same function. It just feels so inconsistent to me to not have that and I feel like I trip over it all the time when working in GIMP.

But before that, someone has to fix the snapping bug, path snapping to be exact. When they are complex it seems that Gimp 2.10 gets confused and doesn't want to snap anywhere or snaps erratically. Before anyone says 'well its only for simple paths' keep in mind programs like Illustrator have no problem with this and have had these solid features for the better part of 3 decades. So, let us not be naive and think new features are only good if only we want them. I appreciate Gimp is a beast when it comes to code, believe me, even back in the 1990's it took my PC about a half day to compile it (after I was actually able to download the sources and dependencies), so whenever someone talks about changes it can be a bit of a bitter taste. But we have enough computing power these days to make changes much easier than back then.

Who will change it? Maybe someone will come across this Idea in the future and inject it back, but waiting for pull requests is like waiting for pigs to fly Smile