Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools and cursor sticking in GIMP 2.8
I've been having this issue ongoing for quite some time... well I should more say a collection of issues that are all related and are on and off when they occur.
  • When trying to zoom in/out with CTRL + mousewheel nothing happens until I click on something like the ruler bar.
  • When selecting a different tool sometimes it won't actually switch to them until I double click it or do something else like clicking on the ruler bar or changing to a different layer in the image.
  • Using the pencil doesn't highlight the area where the pencil is until I actually click on the image and end up accidentally putting a dot on the image, same applies when attempting to draw a straight line when holding down CTRL or when trying to draw out an area using one of the select tools.
It's making the whole experience of using GIMP extremely choppy and quite honestly I don't know what causes it or what fixes it as it's random it happens, sometimes happens right away, and sometimes it just resolves by itself.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue and knows how to stop it?
Is it mandatory for you to stay on old GIMP 2.8?
If not did you tried the latest GIMP 2.10.30 https://www.gimp.org/ ?
(04-20-2022, 04:05 AM)geekgirl101 Wrote: I've been having this issue ongoing for quite some time... well I should more say a collection of issues that are all related and are on and off when they occur.
  • When trying to zoom in/out with CTRL + mousewheel nothing happens until I click on something like the ruler bar.
  • When selecting a different tool sometimes it won't actually switch to them until I double click it or do something else like clicking on the ruler bar or changing to a different layer in the image.
  • Using the pencil doesn't highlight the area where the pencil is until I actually click on the image and end up accidentally putting a dot on the image, same applies when attempting to draw a straight line when holding down CTRL or when trying to draw out an area using one of the select tools.
It's making the whole experience of using GIMP extremely choppy and quite honestly I don't know what causes it or what fixes it as it's random it happens, sometimes happens right away, and sometimes it just resolves by itself.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue and knows how to stop it?

Last item can happen if you edit a large image and the actual pencil is small and you zoomed out.

OTOH Gimp 2.10 has been around for over two years...
Oh, I had no idea there was a GIMP 2.10, oddly it never prompted me with a new update.  I'll go get it and see if it performs any better.
(04-20-2022, 06:15 PM)geekgirl101 Wrote: oddly it never prompted me with a new update.

And never will, as GIMP respect privacy.
An auto connection to check if an update is out can lead to check also ip address, computer type, time, how often you open it, and many more.

But it was asked a lot to the GIMP team, so actually you have a button to check for update (does not work on Linux, though) Help ➤ About , and may be one day it will check automatically as people are forcing for it, but if I understood, you will need to set it up in the preferences, if ever they will do it. (I read this many years ago and things change as well as my memories Confused )

I wonder if is a hardware issue: keyboard or mouse or both.

This from 7 months ago https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-us...windows-10

Whatever the cause, when updating from an existing Gimp 2.8 to Gimp 2.10 it is worth disabling the Gimp 2.8 user profile
C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ (rename to C:\Users\"yourname"\.xxxgimp-2.8)
That prevents any old settings migrating to the Gimp 2.10 user profile.
Ah, a bit late for that...already installed Gimp 2.10 and it has all the old settings. So far haven't seen it misbehave yet but will see.

Yeah that's an old topic I posted 7 months ago. The guy who posted his very unrelated response DM'd me afterwards with a link to this forum stating that at least his answer "wasn't advertising an essay writing website", which he did. Tongue
(04-21-2022, 05:10 PM)geekgirl101 Wrote: Ah, a bit late for that...already installed Gimp 2.10 and it has all the old settings. So far haven't seen it misbehave yet but will see.

Yeah that's an old topic I posted 7 months ago. The guy who posted his very unrelated response DM'd me afterwards with a link to this forum stating that at least his answer "wasn't advertising an essay writing website", which he did. Tongue

Try reading the PM I sent you (quoted below) - where does it refer you to an essay writing site? I am most definitely not Burdette76 - I have better things to do than send (intentionally) unhelpful answers :-)

(The PM was simply to avoid possibly raising the profile of this site with the spammers who afflict gimp-users.)

Quote: At least the answer wasn't advertising an essay writing website - but if you wait you will probably get such a response! This site seems to be unmoderated and overrun with spam.

I would suggest asking on a site like:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/

this site is moderated with spam being dealt with in short order. They also try to help.

I haven't come across anything like you are reporting. Perhaps you could ask the question on the website noted above and add to your question which version of GIMP you are using and whether you are using a mouse or a graphics tablet. I assume that you don't see anything similar in other programs.