Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top layer leaving a line from the original photo
So I have used the Paths tool to select the girl out of a very cluttered back ground, then Select From Path, then Cut.

I pasted her into a New Layer, selected Anchor, and Deleted the old layer.

This is the problem that arises. There is a rectangular border of the photo she was cropped from that appears on any layer the Girl is put on.

How do I get rid of that rectangle, and how do I prevent that from happening again?
Screenshot?
From the description I can't tell if the rectangle is part of the original layer; or a layer boundary (a static dotted line). Does the rectangle go away if you select a different layer or do Layer > Layer to image size ?
I am unable to paste a picture due to the file size limit.

The .png is 1.9mb

Maybe?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I notice that you only have 1 layer. For an image like that there would normally be 2: one for the background and one for Molly.

Best guess: those lines are non-transparent pixels on the Molly layer before pasting. Zoom in close and have a look. Even run the Eraser Tool along the edges. If you had kept the layers separate it would be very easy to clean up. Once merged into a single layer it can still be done, just a bit more work.

SAVE as .xcf to preserve all your layers. EXPORT as .png or .jpg as required. If you need to make edits go to the .xcf

Gimp adds this border that was the edges of the original photo before selecting the model and editing out the background.

Why does Gimp keep adding the photo edges as a 1 pixel border? I can't erase it, heal it, clone it away, or paste into another layer to remove it.

How do I get rid of this border that should not be there? It was the border of the original photo before the model was cropped out using the Paths tool.

I can't get rid of it

(08-04-2019, 01:59 PM)Janitor Wrote: How do I get rid of this border that should not be there? It was the border of the original photo before the model was cropped out using the Paths tool.

That dotted line is the layer boundary.
Try View > Show Layer Boundary (turn it off)
(08-04-2019, 03:15 PM)Blighty Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 01:59 PM)Janitor Wrote: How do I get rid of this border that should not be there? It was the border of the original photo before the model was cropped out using the Paths tool.

That dotted line is the layer boundary.
Try View > Show Layer Boundary (turn it off)

Why is it showing up when the picture is save as a .xcf or exported as a .png?

That boundary is in the finished piece and I haven't been able to get rid of it.

OK, so it is not the layer boundary.
That means the Molly layer has a border where the pixels not fully transparent. Select them and delete (or use the eraser tool) to make them fully transparent.

Have you enabled the Alpha Lock in the layers dialogue? If so, disable it.