Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transparent Paste Failed Me
Hi

I tried to paste a transparent image on the opened brick background in GIMP and it failed. Below is what I did.

1. I 'googled' transparent flowers and got this (png):

[Image: fMxsP0W.png]

2. I right-clicked on the flower and chose 'Copy Image'

3. I opened a brick wall background in GIMP and attempted to paste the what I thought was a transparent flower and it did this:

[Image: YS9ca3e.png]

I'm not sure what I did wrong.
(12-01-2020, 11:39 PM)Barkley#34 Wrote: Hi

I tried to paste a transparent image on the opened brick background in GIMP and it failed. Below is what I did.

1. I 'googled' transparent flowers and got this (png):

[Image: fMxsP0W.png]

2. I right-clicked on the flower and chose 'Copy Image'

3. I opened a brick wall background in GIMP and attempted to paste the what I thought was a transparent flower and it did this:

[Image: YS9ca3e.png]

I'm not sure what I did wrong.

(12-02-2020, 06:53 AM)Xxxx Wrote: [quote pid='20964' dateline='1606865952']
Your "transparent" image (as I dowloaded it) is not transparent. the background is a solid grey checker!

[/quote]
Hmmm..I don't know what to do.
(12-02-2020, 07:35 AM)Barkley#34 Wrote: Hmmm..I don't know what to do.

These seem to be taking over.  Images with transparent representation but not transparent, often an enticement  to a pay-for version. 
That particular image seems to be linked to a brand of honey, at least that what an image search found.

If you want to use that image you need to extract the foreground. Any number of ways and equivalent tutorials if you search.

One way is make a selection around the flowers. Ref. images https://i.imgur.com/12N9OkJ.jpg
1) Use the free select tool around the outside, the tool has modes, replace (left side icon) for the first flower then addition (as the screenshot) for the second.
2) Convert the selection into a layer mask `Layer -> Mask -> Add Layer Mask
3) Unless you have been extremely careful, improve the edges by painting with an active layer mask, Use a suitable brush, white uncovers / black hides.