Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble Scaling Image
Hi there,

I have an image I would like to make larger so it fills the template I've created. The template size is 12x12 inches, however, I'm unable to increase the size of the image I've added to it (have tried Image > Scale Image and also pulling the corners while holding 'command').

Any ideas how I can increase the size of the image? Thanks!
Since you want a real physical size, see this.

How big is your image in pixels?
(05-17-2023, 12:17 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Since you want a real physical size, see this.

How big is your image in pixels?

Thanks - The image I'm trying to enlarge is currently 1024x1024 pixels-
(05-16-2023, 09:00 PM)hsmokey Wrote: Hi there,

I have an image I would like to make larger so it fills the template I've created. The template size is 12x12 inches, however, I'm unable to increase the size of the image I've added to it (have tried Image > Scale Image and also pulling the corners while holding 'command').

Any ideas how I can increase the size of the image? Thanks!

If you just select your 1024 x 1024 px image and with the scale tool enlarge that image to 3600 x 3600 px, wouldn't that be what you want?
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
When you do Image > Scale image, you can enter a size in inches, but you also have to pay attention to the image definition (see link in my previous post).

@hsmokey

Lets go back to the earlier posts

Quote:... I would like to make larger so it fills the template I've created. The template size is 12x12 inches, however, I'm unable to increase the size of the image I've added to it (have tried Image > Scale Image
and
- The image I'm trying to enlarge is currently 1024x1024 pixels-

Read Ofnuts article on print size, quality ...

Gimp uses pixels not inches so you should work in pixels. However...

Whatever the pixels-per-inch (ppi) of the template and even if the image to enlarge has a different ppi, when added to the template it acquires the template ppi. Which is why it is smaller (or larger) than expected.

My advice is use the menu entry Layer -> Scale Layer instead of the image scale tool. Then if you want to use inches (or pixels) change the size to suit.

A 40 second animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/owi0q8Z.mp4

...of course scaling an image up by a considerable amount will degrade the quality, up to you to determine what is acceptable.