Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a Macro For Stroke Selection [Solved!]
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and GIMP 2.10 in general. So I'm trying to convert images into outlines for laser cutting. And the best way I found is a combination of fuzzy tool+ stroke selection and color exchanging. However, the clicking for stroke selection is a bit too much (edit->stroke selection->stroke) since I need to repeat the process over 100+ times. I was wondering if there is a way to map (edit->stroke selection->stroke) to a key on my keyboard.

Thanks!
Edit>Keyboard shortcuts then enter stroke in the search bar at the top. You will find two functions: stroke-selection and stroke-selection-last-values. The first elicits the same dialog as Edit>Stroke selection, the second is the same as Edit>Stroke selection+[enter] without changing values.
(02-23-2019, 10:18 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Edit>Keyboard shortcuts then enter stroke in the search bar at the top. You will find two functions: stroke-selection and stroke-selection-last-values. The first elicits the same dialog as Edit>Stroke selection, the second is the same as Edit>Stroke selection+[enter] without changing values.

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks so much. Good thing I didn't have to create a macro for this. That seemed a lot more complicated and involves some python potentially.
Btw, may you don't need to color-exchange anything. You can get a selection on a layer and use it on another layer, so you would typically work with two layers: you initial image and one you add over it. Then:
  • activate the initial layer, and make a selection
  • activate the "laser cut" and stroke the selection
When done, hide the image layer, leaving only the laser cut and export to JPG/PNG. This will produce an image with only the laser cut image.
Why not post a sample image? Someone may be able to come with an easier method. eg edge detect or Inkscape bitmap trace.
(02-24-2019, 10:13 AM)Blighty Wrote: Why not post a sample image? Someone may be able to come with an easier method. eg edge detect or Inkscape bitmap trace.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. So, here's an example of what I want to do. With the left image being the one I want to transform and the right image being the transformed image.

[Image: LuxCQ5a.jpg]

(02-24-2019, 09:06 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Btw, may you don't need to color-exchange anything. You can get a selection on a layer and use it on another layer, so you would typically work with two layers: you initial image and one you add over it. Then:
  • activate the initial layer, and make a selection
  • activate the "laser cut" and stroke the selection
When done, hide the image layer, leaving only the laser cut and export to JPG/PNG. This will produce an image with only the laser cut image.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot and see how well it works for me.