Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to install gimp-plugin-registry since upgrading to Mint 19
I recently upgraded to Mint 19 with a clean install. Since then, I have been unable to load the gimp-plugin-registry via Synaptic. This appears to be linked to another problem, which is that I cannot switch from the X.Org X server - Nouveau display driver to the recommended Nvidia driver 390.

When I try to install the GIMP Plugin Registry via Synaptic, the first error message I get says that I have two broken packages on my system. When I use the 'Fix Broken Packages' option from the menu, nothing happens. Clicking on the 'Broken' option in the filters shows two packages: libnvidia-ifr1-390 and nvidia-driver-390. These are both shown with red flags against them. Attempts to reinstall these results in the following error:

'E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-390_390.48-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb: new libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2'

I also sometimes get another error:

'E: Internal Error, No file name for libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64'

When I checked the Drivers, the system shows that the nvidia-driver-390 is in use, but this is not the case. Running inxi -G in the terminal produces the following:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NV117 version: 4.3 Mesa 18.0.5

I had neither of these issues when running Mint 18, so this appears to be something inherent in the 19 release.

Any thoughts about how to resolve the two faults would be appreciated.
I can not help with the nvidia problem. Sometimes for broken packages a
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
works

edit Just looked at your earlier posts. Are you using the Gimp 2.10.6 flatpak? The same comments from earlier posts apply.

Since Mint 19 is based on Gimp 18.04, did you get Gimp 2.10 from the PPA? ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp 
That does not have a gimp-plugin-registry package for 18.04 which would explain why you can not install it via synaptic. You can check in synaptic and the gimp-plugin-registry properties to see if there is an older version, which might install.
or
You could download the last deb package and install yourself. 
https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasc..._amd64.deb
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all gimp-plugin-registry_7.20170217-0a9~ppa_amd64.deb

However, these are old (ancient) plugins and scripts, Do you really want them messing up the core Gimp files?  A better way is unpack the deb package and just install what you want in your Gimp profile.

Done it for you, zip attached. Nice to see that none of the old mistakes have been rectified. Python plugins still mixed up with scripts and some that have not worked since Gimp 2.6 times

Attached Files
.zip   gimp-reg-64-bit-deb.zip (Size: 786.69 KB / Downloads: 319)
(10-03-2018, 01:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can not help with the nvidia problem. Sometimes for broken packages a
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
works

edit Just looked at your earlier posts. Are you using the Gimp 2.10.6 flatpak? The same comments from earlier posts apply.

Since Mint 19 is based on Gimp 18.04, did you get Gimp 2.10 from the PPA? ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp 
That does not have a gimp-plugin-registry package for 18.04 which would explain why you can not install it via synaptic. You can check in synaptic and the gimp-plugin-registry properties to see if there is an older version, which might install.
or
You could download the last deb package and install yourself. 
https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasc..._amd64.deb
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all gimp-plugin-registry_7.20170217-0a9~ppa_amd64.deb

However, these are old (ancient) plugins and scripts, Do you really want them messing up the core Gimp files?  A better way is unpack the deb package and just install what you want in your Gimp profile.

Done it for you, zip attached. Nice to see that none of the old mistakes have been rectified. Python plugins still mixed up with scripts and some that have not worked since Gimp 2.6 times

Thanks for that Rich. It has enabled me to install the scripts I wanted, so half the problem is solved!

I'll go into the Mint forums to see if I can fix the Nvidia driver problem next.