Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use mouse scroll to change tool size by 50% only
Hello,

In GIMP preferences I always set my mouse scroll to change brush size relative (by percent).
When I go to:
Preferences > Input Devices > Input Controllers > Mouse Wheel > Main Mouse Wheel > Configure Input Controller > Scroll Up > Select Controller Event Action,
I set it to:
Tool's Size: Increase Relative.

Analogously, I do with Scroll Down, to decrease tool size.

Thing is, it changes the tool size twice, so 100%. I'd love to be able to change my tool's size only by 50%.
Is it possible?
(09-23-2021, 07:01 PM)einstein Wrote: Hello,

In GIMP preferences I always set my mouse scroll to change brush size relative (by percent).
When I go to:
Preferences > Input Devices > Input Controllers > Mouse Wheel > Main Mouse Wheel > Configure Input Controller > Scroll Up > Select Controller Event Action,
I set it to:
Tool's Size: Increase Relative.

Analogously, I do with Scroll Down, to decrease tool size.

Thing is, it changes the tool size twice, so 100%. I'd love to be able to change my tool's size only by 50%.
Is it possible?

I don't really understand what's your meaning when you say "twice=100%"

I've few little questions
Did you tried to NOT set up the "Scroll Down"? (having only the Scroll-up)
With the key modifier "Shift" what does it do? Does it do like with the brackets [ and ]?
Quote:Thing is, it changes the tool size twice, so 100%. I'd love to be able to change my tool's size only by 50%.
Is it possible?

As far as I can tell, it is not possible, you would probably need to recompile Gimp.

Depending on the range of brushes you use, you could make some presets of a brush with various sizes. 

----------------
Much used by artists, for the rest of us and those who do not know, by default, the scroll wheel is not user configured.. You can assign an action to it but limited to those shown. There is a sensible YT video on setting up scroll here: https://youtu.be/JcNg9GjBVqY only a couple of minutes.
The settings are help in your Gimp user profile,  file controllerrc   If / when you screw-up the settings, delete it and Gimp makes a new default file.   Again for those not familiar with the scroll wheel actions. Hover the mouse over the size slider in the Brush Tool options, and the scroll wheel changes size by 1 pixel. There are modifiers, shift-scroll = 0.1 pixel, ctrl-scroll = 10 pixels.
PixLab,
Okay, forget about "100%" Smile
What I want to achieve is when I scroll up one step on my mouse, I want to increase my tool size only by half. Currently, in increases it twice.
Same thing I want for scroll down - it decreases my brush size by half. Here I'd like it to be decreased by only 1/4.

Example:
My brush is 100 px in size.
I scroll up and I want it to be 150 px. It makes it 200.
I scroll down and I want it to be 75 px. It makes it 50.

This would give me a possibility for quick finer adjustment of brush sizes, without the need to set the size numerically, which is slow.

Referring to your question about Shift key modifier: when I hold it, it guides the brush to draw a straight line. It doesn't let me change brush size.
Which "action" are you currently using? tools-size-increase-percent, tools-size-increase-skip, tools-size-increase?
Thanks for posting this I had no idea you could do this. I tried the relative increase but it was way too much. I set it to increase in steps of ten and that is very useful. Unfortunately I tried the same with downsizing it and the wheel did nothing.
Ofnuts, I use "tools-size-increase-percent".
I crashed Gimp as I do about once a month.  Gimp forgot my mouse scroll setting.  I set it up once again.  This time both scroll up and scroll down took affect.  This has been very helpful.  I use it frequently.  It is set to increase by 10.  If anything a slightly smaller increment would be helpful for fine tuning.
With key modifier increase - decrease by:
Shift = 0.1
Alt = 1
Ctrl = 10
(09-30-2021, 09:39 AM)PixLab Wrote: With key modifier increase - decrease by:
Shift = 0.1
Alt = 1
Ctrl = 10

Yes, I know I can do it this way, but it's way too slow with large brushes, like 1000 px.