Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Interface Icons Missing. 2.10 on W7 Pro
I am having some problems installing Gimp 2.10 under Windows 7 Pro. With the default settings, the Tool Icons and additional User Interface Icons are missing. I can get the Tool Icons to show up by choosing the "Legacy" and "Use Icon Size from Theme" under Edit / Preferences / Interface / Icon Theme, but some of the User Interface Icons are still missing. 

"Legacy" and "Use Icon Size from Theme" under Edit / Preferences / Interface / Icon Theme

I've now tried an install on another, newer computer with a clean install of Windows 7 and it doesn't have the same problem.

I removed as much of the previous installations of 2.8 and 2.10 as possible and did a clean install on the machine I'm having the issue with. Here is what the screen looks like:

Gimp 2.10 uninstalls Gimp 2.8.x on installation but the Gimp 2.8 profile remains. C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\

Gimp 2.10 will copy parts of this to the new Gimp 10 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ for you to place your resources.

If you still have a C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\ rename it to say C:\Users\your-name\.bak-gimp or back the whole thing up somewhere safe and delete it.

Delete the new profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ (careful you just delete the GIMP\2.10 bit)

Start Gimp 2.10 up to make a new default, Gimp profile

If that does not work, do not know what the screw-up is.
Thanks, rick2005. I have tried completely removing all of the user data, app data, and program files for both versions of Gimp and reinstalling just 2.10. I even checked the registry to make sure there wasn't something lurking in there. The last photo above shows the result.
Sad 
Sad
I started to use GIMP some years ago, and I was using 2.8.22 just to yesterday. 
I did the same experience as dana_w  with the newest release 2.10 and I confirm that many icons seam to be missing (perhaps, are they too small ? ), especially icons in various UI menus (Cut, past, preferences etc..).
I did any suggestion as rick2005 said in his reply and the final situation is a little bit better, but not completely satisfactory.
So, if there are no other solution to this problem, I will go back to 2.8.22 and I will test sometime the new releases, to check if they are OK. Best regards,
     Pici
Sad 
I think I found a reason for the "lack" of the icons. The icons are there but painfully small. It seems to me that this is related to the icon scaling. I think Gimp might have a problem to "Guess icon size from resolution". It affects both single monitor and multi monitor setup. It works on some machines and then it does not work on others. I use Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

To fix it please go to:
Edit --> Preferences --> Interface --> Icon Theme
On the bottom change from "Guess icon size from resolution" to something else. The best might be "Use icon size from the theme".

Unfortunately it does not fix everything Sad
You may also need to switch to Legacy icon theme.

(06-05-2018, 11:42 AM)danhopa Wrote: I think I found a reason for the "lack" of the icons. The icons are there but painfully small. It seems to me that this is related to the icon scaling. I think Gimp might have a problem to "Guess icon size from resolution". It affects both single monitor and multi monitor setup. It works on some machines and then it does not work on others. I use Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

To fix it please go to:
On the bottom change from "Guess icon size from resolution" to something else. The best might be " Use icon size from the theme.

I mentioned trying "Legacy" and "Use Icon Size from Theme" under Edit / Preferences / Interface / Icon Theme" In the original post. Unfortunately, no combination of options eliminates the problem.
(06-05-2018, 11:50 AM)dana_w Wrote:
(06-05-2018, 11:42 AM)danhopa Wrote: I think I found a reason for the "lack" of the icons. The icons are there but painfully small. It seems to me that this is related to the icon scaling. I think Gimp might have a problem to "Guess icon size from resolution". It affects both single monitor and multi monitor setup. It works on some machines and then it does not work on others. I use Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

To fix it please go to:
On the bottom change from "Guess icon size from resolution" to something else. The best might be " Use icon size from the theme.

I mentioned trying "Legacy" and "Use Icon Size from Theme" under Edit / Preferences / Interface / Icon Theme" In the original post. Unfortunately, no combination of options eliminates the problem. 

Sorry, this did the trick for me.
@dana_w

Let's approach this from the "missing icons" direction...

I started writing a guide to checking you have all the icons installed (for me these are in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.10\share\gimp\2.0\icons)

BUT I've now realised that you're missing the standard GTK icons - which are not supplied as separate icons for the Legacy theme - they would be complied in, So I have to ask where you got your GIMP installer and exactly which version of GIMP you've installed? i.e. 2.10.2

Also, what Theme do you have selected?
(06-05-2018, 12:40 PM)Kevin Wrote: @dana_w

Let's approach this from the "missing icons" direction...

I started writing a guide to checking you have all the icons installed (for me these are in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.10\share\gimp\2.0\icons)

BUT I've now realised that you're missing the standard GTK icons - which are not supplied as separate icons for the Legacy theme - they would be complied in, So I have to ask where you got your GIMP installer and exactly which version of GIMP you've installed? i.e. 2.10.2

Also, what Theme do you have selected?

The original post pictures show the worse case. Note that I mention that: I can get the Tool Icons to show up by choosing the "Legacy" and "Use Icon Size from Theme" under Edit / Preferences / Interface / Icon Theme, but some of the User Interface Icons are still missing. 

Right now I am running GIMP 2.10.2 which was downloaded from gimp.org via the "directly" link.

My laptop uses the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS and I am running the latest available driver for the GPU.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

At least for me the problem is independent whether you upgrade from 2.8.22 or you do a fresh install. Out of 4 different machines it worked fine on 2 and on the other 2 it did not. Two of those machines with different results were exactly the same hardware but on is single monitor, the other is multi monitor.
It is independent whether you use roaming profile or local profile.

Although changing to "legacy theme" and using icon "size from the theme" restored most of the icons, there are still a number of them "missing".

I honestly think the icon sizing is broken and in certain conditions the icons become very small. Custom icon size is not working correctly for me. I get them the biggest when I set it to medium. The problem is - the icon size settings do not apply everywhere - some change size while other do not.

My way to check whether the icons are there was to switch between Symbolic and and Color theme - I could see the dots changing colors.