Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using the Crop tool to enlarge the canvas
10 years of Gimp usage, and never noticed the Allow growing setting in the Crop tool. When you set it, you can use the crop tool to make the canvas/layer bigger.
(06-17-2019, 06:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 10 years of Gimp usage, and never noticed the Allow growing setting in the Crop tool. When you set it, you can use the crop tool to make the canvas/layer bigger.

Thanks Ofnuts. I never either. It's easier with that option.  Smile
Same here! I guess when you see crop, you automatically think of making smaller. I will have to pay more attention to the the fine print!
me neither just checked could be useful
(06-17-2019, 06:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 10 years of Gimp usage, and never noticed the Allow growing setting in the Crop tool. When you set it, you can use the crop tool to make the canvas/layer bigger.

I've been looking at this option - Allow Growing. When selected, provides the menu: Fill With, which provides options such as FB, BG, Pattern, White and Transparency.

However, I could not get the fill with any of these options, just the growth of the layer.  Confused
What should be done to fill the enlarged area with any of these options?  Huh

Thx.
(10-15-2019, 12:58 AM)Krikor Wrote: However, I could not get the fill with any of these options, just the growth of the layer.  Confused

It appears to only work with the "Current layer only" option.
(10-15-2019, 06:26 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 12:58 AM)Krikor Wrote: However, I could not get the fill with any of these options, just the growth of the layer.  Confused

It appears to only work with the "Current layer only" option.

Ofnuts, I checked and you are right. Which led me to doubt because I thought I had tested this option (current layer only ) before and had also been unsuccessful.  Undecided

♥ - In fact, I had actually tested this, but I had extended the canvas, and although the layer boundary was visibly delimited, indicating that there was the desired magnification, the fill was not visible outside the canvas.

♦ - But if the magnification occurs within the canvas, then in this case the fill is visible.

♣ - Fill is only visible within the canvas, although magnification occurs as desired.
♣ - Case - Image - Fit canvas to layers, the fill beyond canvas is revealed.

But while doing this check, I found difficulty with filling with Pattern:

After using a pattern, it will always be the same. I could not use others.
  • I tried to use other patterns, but the fill was always done with the same.
  • I opened a new image and selected another pattern. No effect.
  • I changed the Fill to White, ok it filled with white, but when I tried to refill with a pattern, even though I had another selected, the fill was still the first pattern used.
  • I reset default values - it was no use.
I was able to use another Pattern just after restarting Gimp. But then this pattern became the chosen one of the time.

Would there be a simple way you can use freeform pattern padding by changing the chosen pattern?  Dodgy Huh
Thx.
(10-15-2019, 04:24 PM)Krikor Wrote: I was able to use another Pattern just after restarting Gimp. But then this pattern became the chosen one of the time.

Would there be a simple way you can use freeform pattern padding by changing the chosen pattern?  Dodgy Huh
Thx.

Looks like a bug. Reported.
(10-15-2019, 08:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 04:24 PM)Krikor Wrote: I was able to use another Pattern just after restarting Gimp. But then this pattern became the chosen one of the time.

Thx.

Looks like a bug. Reported.

In Gimp version 2.10.14 there has been no change in this aspect.  Undecided

Apart from the problem with the pattern fixation used, you cannot choose the colors for the foreground or background fill.

Regardless of the color set for FG / BG, the resulting color has always been black for FG and white for BG.