Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Vocabulary question for native english speakers
What word describes the ever changing background in this animation (happens all over but is even more visible in the blue/pink transition at the lower right)?


In French I would say "fourmillement", dictionaries convert to "swarming", but I'm not convince this is the term.
My dictionary defines dither as tremble, quiver but my thesaurus gives a few more possibilities: agitation, tremor, ripple, flicker

slight-flicker might be a possibility or maybe ripple.
color migration ?
Cycling or Cycle perhaps?
As in any complete series of occurrences that repeats or is repeated.

Another word which might be used is "sequence".
(05-20-2024, 07:30 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: "fourmillement", dictionaries convert to "swarming", but I'm not convince this is the term.

me neither

for me, french fourmillement is English tingling or prickling (the later is more on "picotement", though), but now to put it on an image.... Confused maybe flicker?
Ok, I'm not a native English speaker, but I'd still like to give you some suggestions.

I chose the word tremeluzente in Portuguese (tremblotant in French), which resulted in the following synonyms:
twinkling; flickering; shimmering
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I like 'shinmering' as suggested above. Although if I were to try to elucidate what I'm actually seeing in the picture I would suggest 'granular haze', not a single word unfortunately, but you could invent a new compound word: 'granular-haze' ..!
Reminds me somewhat of a 'heat haze' coming off the ground on a hot day.. but the pixelation is reminiscent of a grainy texture.
Or shimmering, maybe.

Forum Jump: