Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should be expected from "Edit Metadata"?
One of the things I've been looking forward to is improvement in the handling of metadata by GIMP 2.10.  When trying to invoke "Image>Metadata>Edit Metadata" on GIMP 2.9.8 I receive an error saying that the plugin crashed (see attachment for what is actually displayed).

My research led to some disclaimers saying that some plugins may not work on 64bit computers.  However, as far as I can tell Version 2.9.8 is only supplied in 64bit  form.  Does this mean that plugins included in the 64bit distribution only work on 32bit computers which, of course, makes them unusable because this version of GIMP doesn't work on 32bit computers unlike prior 32bit versions which would work on either 32bit or 64bit computers.

Attached Files Image(s)

I get the same error in a Win7 (VM) both with Gimp 2.9.8 from gimp.org and the partha version.

However it does work in linux, example: https://i.imgur.com/rx9QLqR.jpg so it looks like a Windows issue.

Will it get sorted for Gimp 2.10 Windows version? I hope so but do not hold you breath.

Will there be a 32 bit version for Windows? Possibly not, the trend is moving away from 32 bit, it has a decreasing user base and application maintainers are unwilling to spend time/resources on two packages.

In the meantime, you could use some alternative application such as XnViewMP
(03-02-2018, 08:15 PM)ajax Wrote: One of the things I've been looking forward to is improvement in the handling of metadata by GIMP 2.10.  When trying to invoke "Image>Metadata>Edit Metadata" on GIMP 2.9.8 I receive an error saying that the plugin crashed (see attachment for what is actually displayed).

My research led to some disclaimers saying that some plugins may not work on 64bit computers.  However, as far as I can tell Version 2.9.8 is only supplied in 64bit  form.  Does this mean that plugins included in the 64bit distribution only work on 32bit computers which, of course, makes them unusable because this version of GIMP doesn't work on 32bit computers unlike prior 32bit versions which would work on either 32bit or 64bit computers.

This is a development version, some things may be broken. If you want problems fixed, don't report them here, report them on https://bugzilla.gnome.org. Developers cannot fix problems they don't know about.
(03-03-2018, 09:36 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: This is a development version, some things may be broken. If you want problems fixed, don't report them here, report them on https://bugzilla.gnome.org. Developers cannot fix problems they don't know about.

Lets face it bugzilla is hard going for the average user. Anyway looks like it has already been reported

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793646

Just a guess but since it appears to be a Windows issue, status will not change from 'NEEDINFO'
(03-03-2018, 08:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: ...

In the meantime, you could use some alternative application such as XnViewMP

I do use XnViewMP, possibly thanks to you or maybe someone else on this forum.  It is very nice/useful, however if it is capable of editing metadata I'm not aware of it.  I do also use ExifTool which can be used to edit.

To be honest editing metadata is not something I see as important for GIMP to do but what is important is preservation of metadata.  I can appreciate that this is a tough problem.  Depending on changes that are made using GIMP some metadata becomes invalid and should probably either be altered accordingly or, at worst, omitted.  It appears to me that GIMP has been solving this problem by omitting extensively.

Based on pretty limited experience GIMP 2.9.? appears better than 2.8.? but still NOT good.

(03-03-2018, 08:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: ...

Will there be a 32 bit version for Windows? Possibly not, the trend is moving away from 32 bit, it has a decreasing user base and application maintainers are unwilling to spend time/resources on two packages.

I can appreciate the problem presented by trying to maintain both 32 & 64 bit versions especially if they are supposed to be functionally equivalent.  I'm not expecting that but it is causing me to make my own migration to 64bit.  Right now I have that for Windows, where my version 7 will become out of favor before long, but not Linux.

Something related to this which I've also noticed is that the image files saved by GIMP are not backward compatible.  Would it NOT make sense to use a new file extension (i.e., different from .xcf) going forward (i.e., for GIMP 2.9.?+)?  Developers need to expect that users will need to be able to use both versions for some amount of time going forward. The way it is now, I have to add an extension of my own to try and keep track of this but it would be better if the OS, at least, was able to pick a valid program when choosing what to launch.  In that, associate files, based on extension, with a valid program.
Quote:...Something related to this which I've also noticed is that the image files saved by GIMP are not backward compatible.

Indeed, worth mentioning the Default/Legacy modes in Gimp 2.9

By default (since Gimp 2.9.5 - I think) Gimp uses the Default mode for Layers and Tools.

If anything is in Default mode, even a single layer in a multi-layer file, then the Gimp xcf file is not backward compatible.

Change everything to Legacy Mode if you need to use the xcf in Gimp 2.8