Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to submit gimp enhancement requests?
Hi, What's the link to submit gimp enhancement requests?   Maybe these are already possible but here's what I'd love to see:

* Ability to switch active layer via most tools .  When working with dozens and dozens of layers it quickly gets difficult to be able to switch layers only through the layer window.   Much needed is a way to switch layers from the tools, like an alternate function on the move tool so that if you click a pixel that pixel's layer becomes active.  Thanks!!!!

* Ability to pick colors from inactive layers.  Currently, colors can only be picked from the active layer.  I want the ability to get the color of whatever pixel the mouse clicked over, without having to be on the same layer.  Thanks!!!!

* I need a subtle visual cue to alert me when something is selected.  I usually work with "View Current Selection" off - because it's distracting.  A subtle message like on the status bar or something would be awesome.  Thanks!

Again, maybe a new version of GIMP has these functions (I'm on 2.8.2).

Sincerely,
   Phil
AFAIK the place to ask for requests is https://bugzilla.gnome.org/

Which says This is GNOME Bugzilla which collects wishes, bugs and crashes reported by users and developers.

In the mean time

Quote: Ability to switch active layer via most tools . When working with dozens and dozens of layers it quickly gets difficult to be able to switch layers only through the layer window.

Well not most tools, but if you are using the paint tool for example, then ctrl for the color picker
ctrl-tab cycles through the layers with a tiny preview of the layer, even if visibility is off.

[Image: K8vc0ky.jpg]

The shortcut for layer visibility is normally unassigned but you could set a key for a quick toggle.

Quote: I need a subtle visual cue to alert me when something is selected.

You can always temporarily toggle with ctrl-t or a quick on/off with the quick-mask will show your selection. A bit over kill and definitely not subtle is the selection editor dock which displays the current selection.
(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)transart Wrote: Hi, what's the link to submit gimp enhancement requests?   Maybe these are already possible but here's what I'd love to see:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org

(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)transart Wrote: * Ability to switch active layer via most tools .  When working with dozens and dozens of layers it quickly gets difficult to be able to switch layers only through the layer window.   Much needed is a way to switch layers from the tools, like an alternate function on the move tool so that if you click a pixel that pixel's layer becomes active.  Thanks!!!!

The Move tool does it (it picks the topmost layer with an opaque pixel where you click). Edit>Preferences>Tool opions>Move tool>Set layer or path as active.

(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)transart Wrote: * Ability to pick colors from inactive layers.  Currently, colors can only be picked from the active layer.  I want the ability to get the color of whatever pixel the mouse clicked over, without having to be on the same layer.  Thanks!!!!

Color picker with Sample merged checkbox ticked (ie, work as "color-pick visible")

(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)transart Wrote: * I need a subtle visual cue to alert me when something is selected.  I usually work with "View Current Selection" off - because it's distracting.  A subtle message like on the status bar or something would be awesome.  Thanks!

You learn to use Ctrl-T. Alternatives:

1. View>New view, make a small window, zoom out. This will shows the selection with marching ants, but you can remove the selection indication from your main work window.
  2. Windows>Dockable dialog>Selection editor. If it"s not all black there is a selection.

(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)transart Wrote: Again, maybe a new version of GIMP has these functions (I'm on 2.8.2).

You should be on 2.8.22... No new functionality, but likely a few less bugs