Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which install download for Apple M1 chip?
I've been having trouble installing the BIMP plug-in, with error messages stating 'Official GIMP package not found'.  I looked at the file path for plug-ins indicated in the BIMP executables, and noticed that they were very different from those in my existing GIMP installation. So I have uninstalled GIMP and am starting again.  

I am using an iMac with Apple M1 chip, running OS-X 13.2.1 Ventura.  The GIMP download options are 'GIMP for Intel' and 'GIMP for Apple Silicon'.  I chose the latter, but the dmg file it downloads is called 'gimp-2.10.34-arm64.dmg'.  I thought ARM chips were different again?  Is this the correct download for the Apple M1 chip?
Does your gimp-2.10.34-arm64.dmg package install and work ?

You probably do have an ARM chip https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211814

The BIMP MacOS package is reasonably new August 2021 but almost certainly compiled for an Intel chip
(03-26-2023, 11:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Does your gimp-2.10.34-arm64.dmg package install and work ?

You probably do have an ARM chip https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211814

The BIMP MacOS package is reasonably new August 2021 but almost certainly compiled for an Intel chip

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the GIMP package does install and work.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the difference in chip architecture mean that plug-ins made for Intel cannot be made to work with the M1 chip?  Or is there a way around this?
(03-26-2023, 12:38 PM)foxycologist Wrote: ...snip...does the difference in chip architecture mean that plug-ins made for Intel cannot be made to work with the M1 chip?  Or is there a way around this?

No work-around that I know of. For example I compile my own BIMP for 64bit linux 'buntu No good for 32bit installations and might not even work with some other version of linux.

Are there any MacOS forums you can consult ? I would not even know where to start compiling for MacOS or ARM
(03-26-2023, 03:12 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-26-2023, 12:38 PM)foxycologist Wrote: ...snip...does the difference in chip architecture mean that plug-ins made for Intel cannot be made to work with the M1 chip?  Or is there a way around this?

No work-around that I know of. For example I compile my own BIMP for 64bit linux 'buntu No good for 32bit installations and might not even work with some other version of linux.

Are there any MacOS forums you can consult ? I would not even know where to start compiling for MacOS or  ARM

Thanks, disappointing news but it's best to know the score!  I will do as you suggest and try a MacOS forum, but somehow I don't feel optimistic.
(03-26-2023, 03:27 PM)foxycologist Wrote: Thanks, disappointing news but it's best to know the score!  I will do as you suggest and try a MacOS forum, but somehow I don't feel optimistic.

bit of a sledgehammer...

A virtualbox for M1/M2 and install a linux and a Gimp and perhaps a Gimp BIMP https://osxdaily.com/2022/10/22/you-can-...con-m1-m2/
Thanks, interesting to know that exists, but I think it really would be more bother than it’s worth.