Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White balance
Hi,
I am a new member,and would like to ask whether there is a way to put the WhiBal plug-in into Gimp.I know it is possible to use it in Photoshop (BOO). Smile
Gimp isn't Photoshop, plug-ins for PS don't work out of the box in Gimp. There is a thing called PSPI that lets you use some PS plugins on Gimp (no personal experience, it's for Windows), but for something as frequent as the white balance, there are scripts, the best one IMHO being Luca De Alpharo's whitebalance script.

If you are trying to correct a wrong color temperature setting on you camera, the same person has a colortemp script.
Are you aware of Colors -> Auto -> White Balance ?
(10-17-2016, 07:54 AM)Panlumix Wrote: Hi,
I am a new member,and would like to ask whether there is a way to put the WhiBal plug-in into Gimp.I know it is possible to use it in Photoshop (BOO). Smile

Is it the plugin connected with this?

http://www.whibalhost.com/whibal/
I think the saying, photoshop has a steep unlearning curve is going to apply here.

Forget how you worked previously. Gimp is not PS

Not going to put these screenshots in-line, have a look at them if you want.

WhiBal plugin - it is old (2007) a .8bf Might work with pspi or shellout and xnview but more trouble than it is worth.
looks like this  http://imgur.com/ylQwqo2

Try the Gimp plugin g'mic http://www.gmic.eu which contains many filters that will accomplish the same result but in a different way.
Example http://imgur.com/tOcoRpR

Personally, I prefer the color curves, same section in g'mic. Get the HSV/HSL curves, pull them around to suit.
(10-17-2016, 08:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Gimp isn't Photoshop, plug-ins for PS don't work out of the box in Gimp. There is a thing called PSPI that lets you use some PS plugins on Gimp (no personal experience, it's for Windows), but for something as frequent as the white balance, there are scripts, the best one IMHO being Luca De Alpharo's whitebalance script.

If you are trying to correct a wrong color temperature setting on you camera, the same person has a colortemp script.

My main aim is to have a white balance reference point,for example to input a color point from a photo taken under the right lighting conditions and use the color picker to adjust this.I have done this with RAW files in Lightzone but with JPEGS I prefer to use Gimp.I am a total novice and still learning the many aspects of Gimp,the auto white balance give the wrong results.
Wink
(10-17-2016, 01:25 PM)Panlumix Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 08:11 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Gimp isn't Photoshop, plug-ins for PS don't work out of the box in Gimp. There is a thing called PSPI that lets you use some PS plugins on Gimp (no personal experience, it's for Windows), but for something as frequent as the white balance, there are scripts, the best one IMHO being Luca De Alpharo's whitebalance script.

My main aim is to have a white balance reference point,for example to input a color point from a photo taken under the right lighting conditions and use the color picker to adjust this.I have done this with RAW files in Lightzone but with JPEGS I prefer to use Gimp.I am a total novice and still learning the many aspects of Gimp,the auto white balance give the wrong results.
Wink

This is exactly how the aforementioned whitebalance script works:
  • With the color picker tool ( ColorPicker )  you sample a part of the picture that should be gray/white (sheet of paper, shirt, fridge...). Best use the "Sample average option" and sample a significantly large bit ("Radius" slider) to minimize the influence of chroma noise.
  • Then use the "Make foreground gray" option of the script.
  • It adjusts the colors so that the foreground color becomes neutral gray (R=G=B).
Really simple to use. If you look into the code, you'll find that it does the right things (gamma compensation, etc...)

Me, I use the cap of a Nutella jar as a white reference to set the WB manually on my camera Smile

If you use Gimp for photo editing, there are several filters/plugins  that you should get asap:
  • resynthesize (aka "content aware fill")
  • wavelet decomposer.
  • GMIC
If you are on Windows the easiest way to install them is to install a Gimp build from partha.com. You get a fresh Gimp and the plugins.