Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are lower layers cropping higher layers?
Please watch the video at this site:

http://www.shahspace.com/gimp anomoly.mp4

What it shows is a new layer being created by a copy of a section of another layer. The new layer is then dragged to the bottom border of the lower layer and is cropped off. Why is it cropped off?

The new layer is on top. It shouldn't be cropped by anything.

In the video, I toggle the visibility of each layer to show the boundaries. It would be understandable if the middle layer acted as a viewport to all layers below it, thus cropping off any layers below it that aren't in the viewport. But this new layer is on top. So why is it being cropped?
Try
Image > Fit Canvas to Layers
after the move
(01-04-2018, 06:26 PM)Blighty Wrote: Try
Image > Fit Canvas to Layers
after the move

Oh I see. So it was the canvas size that was the issue, not the layers. Hard to tell because I background color I chose happens to be indistinguishable from the background outside the canvas.

Thanks for pointing that out, Blighty. It worked.
(01-07-2018, 03:34 AM)gib65 Wrote: ...snip... Hard to tell because I background color I chose happens to be indistinguishable from the background outside the canvas.

A note to Gimp users. Set the padding (outside of canvas) colour in Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Appearance

Padding mode: Custom Colour - then click in the little square and choose a colour. ( but maybe not this one Wink )