Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows ported GIMP 2.10.12 jpg EXIF preservation
Question 
First installed the GIMP 2.10.12 and preserved EXIF through post-production.
Now suddenly it scrubs the EXIF.

I don't remember chaging any setup on camera or in software.

Any help in trying to rectify the situation will be appreciated.

Checked - It happens between opening a jpg and exporting it (without doing anything to the image).
Just checked:
Opened a jpg; Export As another name
Exif data was preserved.

Is Save Exif data checked?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-04-2019, 02:38 PM)Blighty Wrote: Just checked:
Opened a jpg; Export As another name
Exif data was preserved.

Is Save Exif data checked?

Forgot to mention - (1) this is the Windows ported version (on Win10 x64) - And worked fine until it did not (2) All checkboxes possible were check for presenrvation of metadata during export. Moreover, No use of the arithmetic bla - since it caused problems  - subsampling 4:4:4, using progressive save' and floating-point (should not cause any problems - both have worked until recently without interfering with the metadata).
A bit of a mix here as a check.
The original image edited in a Win10 VM / Gimp 2.10.12 (the latest ...setup-3.exe) but the embedded exif extracted in linux (used ImageMagick for this, and IM not installed in the Win10 VM)

No great difference, obviously there are changes, big files so just the tail here as a comparison. https://i.imgur.com/1amv12j.jpg

The usual with Windows Wink Worked before, not working now, what changed in the interval.
Maybe a bit more information and someone can help. For example, what camera are you using?

edit: Looked at first post again, open camera .jpg in Win10 / Gimp 2.10.12 and immediately export. Exif data all there.
(09-04-2019, 03:17 PM)rich2005 Wrote: A bit of a mix here as a check.
The original image edited in a Win10 VM / Gimp 2.10.12 (the latest ...setup-3.exe) but the embedded exif extracted in linux (used ImageMagick for this, and IM not installed in the Win10 VM)

No great difference, obviously there are changes, big files so just the tail here as a comparison. https://i.imgur.com/1amv12j.jpg

The usual with Windows Wink Worked before, not working now, what changed in the interval.
Maybe a bit more information and someone can help. For example,  what camera are you using?

edit: Looked at first post again, open camera .jpg in Win10 / Gimp  2.10.12 and immediately export. Exif data all there.

Hi Rich,
I abandoned my transform to linux. For another thread.
I re-installed win10, and of course the latest GIMP (2.10.12).
When I transfer the EXIF from my SD to the PC, the EXIF exists.
If I open it in GIMP and then just export it back, it loses the EXIF.
-What changed? -Maybe some Win10 updates? -Don't really understand what's happened. As far as I can remember - nothing of notice, but still..
I know that NOT using the Arithmetic option when exporting enabled for some reason saving the EXIF as well as preserving the color pallette (sRBG).
Other than getting the EXIF to "stick" to the post-produced photo this way, I had no reason to change anything, so I didn't as far as I can recall.
(09-04-2019, 05:15 PM)Turn2Linux Wrote:

Maybe a bit more information and someone can help. For example,  what camera are you using?

edit: Looked at first post again, open camera .jpg in Win10 / Gimp  2.10.12 and immediately export. Exif data all there.

Hi Rich,
-What changed? -Maybe some Win10 updates? -Don't really understand what's happened. As far as I can remember - nothing of notice, but still..
I know that NOT using the Arithmetic option when exporting enabled for some reason saving the EXIF as well as preserving the color pallette (sRBG).
Other than getting the EXIF to "stick" to the post-produced photo this way, I had no reason to change anything, so I didn't as far as I can recall.

In Gimp 2.10 you can edit the picture's metadata (Image>Metadata>View metadata). Do you see something after opening the picture it in Gimp?

(09-04-2019, 07:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 05:15 PM)Turn2Linux Wrote:

Hi Rich,

In Gimp 2.10 you can edit the picture's metadata (Image>Metadata>View metadata). Do you see something after opening the picture it in Gimp?

No, but the same as when it did preserve the EXIF (so no change in that respect).
(09-04-2019, 09:12 PM)Turn2Linux Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 07:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In Gimp 2.10 you can edit the picture's metadata (Image>Metadata>View metadata). Do you see something after opening the picture it in Gimp?
No, but the same as when it did preserve the EXIF (so no change in that respect).

Not normaL. If it doesn't display the Exif, it didn't find them, and there is no way it can copy them later.