Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can anyone help
Hello,
Is there anyone willing to improove a old photo for me. I am in the process of doing a family album which i am going to call the living album as i have converted my old family photos to animation. I have a slight problem with my dads photo in that when i animate it his forehead as got a white patch on the left hand side of his head, the photo in general is slightly washed out. Im not experienced enough to improove this photo without making it look like its false. i realise i need to keep it as original as possible but im sure it could do with some very delicate work in the right hands. anyone willing to help me i will send a few pounds for drink.
Including the photo (or part of) in your post would help to give you a solution.
(05-04-2021, 10:34 AM)denzjos Wrote: Including the photo (or part of) in your post would help to give you a solution.

yes i have just included the photo. thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Use the Color Picker tool to get color from somewhere on the face. Then paint the white areas with the Paintbrush tool ( use a big brush : 100, hardness 6, force 6). Optimise the correction with the Smudge tool and the Blur/Sharpen tool. Use this tools to correct the chin. A fast made correction :

(05-05-2021, 07:13 AM)denzjos Wrote: Use the Color Picker tool to get color from somewhere on the face. Then paint the white areas with the Paintbrush tool ( use a big brush : 100, hardness 6, force 6). Optimise the correction with the Smudge tool and the Blur/Sharpen tool. Use this tools to correct the chin. A fast made correction :

Ok thankyou sir i will have a go at doing it, its nice to know an expert opinion. I wanted to know the right way to go about doing it. I wanted my dad looking his best before animating him. Thankyou
(05-05-2021, 07:13 AM)denzjos Wrote: Use the Color Picker tool to get color from somewhere on the face. Then paint the white areas with the Paintbrush tool ( use a big brush : 100, hardness 6, force 6). Optimise the correction with the Smudge tool and the Blur/Sharpen tool. Use this tools to correct the chin. A fast made correction :

Good start, but my suggestion is to go a bit further to avoid the plastic look:

1) Add the paint on a new layer
2) Apply some noise to that paint

The simplest way is to add some HSV or LCH noise (and play mostly with the L or V setting):

A more complex way is to add cell noise:
  • Create a group
  • Move the paint layer in the group
  • Add a layer above it in the group
  • Set that layer to Overlay and moderate opacity (33%, below)
  • Filters ➤ Render ➤ Noise ➤ Cell noise and push up the scale unltil it matches the grain elsewhere

Good idea Ofnuts.
(05-05-2021, 08:56 AM)denzjos Wrote: Good idea Ofnuts.

Great ideas from you. The right ear is behond improovement, i guesss the left ear could be cloned onto it, What do you think.
In brief:
Add white layer in "multiply" - mode (33% opacity) above picture.
Set FG color to d69c8a
Paint white layer over the desired areas
Smudge tool on the hardest edges.
Add grains (noises to recover the skin texture a little).

The fun was finding the value for FG color.

I'm not sure if my approach has any mathematical support or if it was pure coincidence that I got some reasonable result, but I based it on a technique taught by Ofnuts in removing shadow on a face.

I took an average value of the colors in both ears:
Light - 252 254 248 (FcFeF8)
Dark - 211 155 134 (d39b86)

Ratios:
211 * 255/252 = 213.51
155 * 255/254 = 155.61
134 * 255/248 = 137.8
Voilà d69C8a
(05-05-2021, 11:04 AM)justin65 Wrote: Great ideas from you. The right ear is behond improovement, i guesss the left ear could be cloned onto it, What do you think.

In the image below I cloned the ear. A better adjustment in the perspective is necessary, but the result seems a little better.