Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't remove guide lines
Hello,

I have a couple guide lines on my canvas that are misplaced and annoying me, but I can't seem to get rid of them:

[Image: guide lines.png]

From what I recall, I think I should be able to hover over them, and the mouse icon should turn into a grabby thing that indicates I can click and drag the guide lines over to the ruler where they will disappear, but it's not doing so. For example, if I'm on the pencil tool and I hover over the guide line, the icon remains the pencil tool. If I click on the guide line, I just create a mark like the pencil tool is supposed to do. Thus, I can't seem to get rid of them.

Do I need to activate a specific tool in order to grab them or make them disappear? Is there some other way of making them disappear? Am I remembering correctly (that the mouse icon should turn into a grabby thing) and my instance of Gimp is somehow corrupt?

Thanks.
(02-10-2018, 05:40 PM)gib65 Wrote: Hello,

I have a couple guide lines on my canvas that are misplaced and annoying me, but I can't seem to get rid of them:
...snip...
Do I need to activate a specific tool in order to grab them or make them disappear? Is there some other way of making them disappear? Am I remembering correctly (that the mouse icon should turn into a grabby thing) and my instance of Gimp is somehow corrupt?

it is the move tool you want  Move

Hover over the guide, it changes color, click and drag to the ruler.

All guides go in Image -> Guides -> Remove All Guides
That seems to work. I thought I tried the move tool before, but upon trying it again, it seems to do the trick.

Thanks rich
(02-10-2018, 06:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: it is the move tool you want  Move

Hover over the guide, it changes color, click and drag to the ruler.

In the Tool Options for the Move Tool, you need to make sure "Pick a layer or guide" is selected, not "Move the active layer".
Is the "Move the active layer" the default for everyone? The first thing I always do after opening Gimp is to select "Pick a layer or guide". It seems to me the default doesn't represent common use.
Unless you change your tool defaults in preferences

Smile
(06-27-2023, 01:48 AM)zeuspaul Wrote: Is the "Move the active layer" the default for everyone?  The first thing I always do after opening Gimp is to select "Pick a layer or guide".  It seems to me the default doesn't represent common use.

AFAIK the default is "Pick". If you want to revert to that see here.