Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
canvas prints
Hi everyone, I love gimp and all its functions, but can anyone one advise me how to do canvas wrap with mirror edges, i have gimp version GIMP 2.10.28 any help much appreciated :-)
Something like this ? The Map Object filter  Filters -> Map -> Map Object

You will need to play with the settings: Some here as an example. https://i.imgur.com/waxGQ02.jpg
Look in the Options tab Map to Box and transparent background, new image options.
(10-22-2021, 01:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Something like this ? The Map Object filter  Filters -> Map -> Map Object

You will need to play with the settings: Some here as an example. https://i.imgur.com/waxGQ02.jpg
Look in the Options tab Map to Box and transparent background, new image options.

thanks for the reply, yes something similar, except i want the top, bottom, left, right edge of the canvas frame mirrored, like in the picture i will attach.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Using the Map Object filter is like this

Otherwise, manually it is copy - paste - flip - skew the edges then deform the whole thing to the orientation required. Just very tedious to demo.
(10-22-2021, 06:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Using the Map Object filter is like this

Otherwise, manually it is copy - paste - flip - skew the edges then deform the whole thing to the orientation required. Just very tedious to demo.
Hi thanks for this, I will give it a go, thank you very much, just a quick question which i cant seem to fathom out, i have canvas stretcher bars at 20" x 16" how do i get an image i want to print to match the size of the frame as most images are different sizes, i know you can obviously crop the image but this misses out some of the image if the image is larger if you know what i mean.
Regards.
Quote:..except i want the top, bottom, left, right edge of the canvas frame mirrored, like in the picture i will attach.

OK, I did not understand, you want a flat image for printing and mounting on a frame.  That is easier than a 'virtual' box for display on a web page (I thought was required))

Quote:how do i get an image i want to print to match the size of the frame as most images are different sizes,

That adds a complication. Other than cropping to a 30:20 aspect ratio, to keep that aspect ratio means adding borders. Not compatible with your mirror borders requirement. Otherwise Image -> Canvas Size will adjust but will distort the image. Up to you to decide which is best for any particular image.

Version no. 2 Lots of operations, so another video, nearly six minutes duration.

(10-23-2021, 01:58 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..except i want the top, bottom, left, right edge of the canvas frame mirrored, like in the picture i will attach.

OK, I did not understand, you want a flat image for printing and mounting on a frame.  That is easier than a 'virtual' box for display on a web page (I thought was required))

Quote:how do i get an image i want to print to match the size of the frame as most images are different sizes,

That adds a complication. Other than cropping to a 30:20 aspect ratio, to keep that aspect ratio means adding borders. Not compatible with your mirror borders requirement. Otherwise Image -> Canvas Size will adjust but will distort the image. Up to you to decide which is best for any particular image.

Version no. 2  Lots of operations, so another video, nearly six minutes duration.

thanks, that makes sense if i want to keep the image that is too large for the frame best would be to resize the image best to suite the frame then add a border in the colour of choice
, as for mirror borders sounds like i would have to choose an image that best matches the size of the frame/s that i want to use, again thanks for your help, i appreciate it :-)