Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
color grading plugin
Rich2005,
My situation is almost the same as your first image. Except that in my case there is no "colorgrading.profiles file".

After installing "The developer version" and it didn't work out, I read the ReadMe file and learned about the need for the Numpy file, but I don't intend to install anything other than .py or .scm, at least in this case.

I'm using Gimp 2.10.21 Samj's Portable on Win10.
The plugin appears in the menu and when executed it says it has not found the .png.

I read the plugin's .py code, tried to manually change the path that tells the location of the .png, line 203:

Code:
filename = os.path.join(plugins_dir, "colorwheel_150.png")

But after two failed attempts I gave up and already removed the files from the plugin folder.

I just wanted to check the plugin, I don't know exactly what it does. At the moment I'm not willing to try to get around this problem.
I also didn't really like having to put a png in the plugins folder, in a few months I won't even know why that image in that folder.

In short, a lot of annoyance for something I don't even know will interest me.

Thx Rich2005!
The author of the plugin John Lakkas also created the gmic_gimp_qt Color Grading filter. If you need that effect you can go that way.
I tried colour grading filter on an image using GMIC. There was no preview and when I hit Apply and OK, the image didn't change either.

Edit : Something related to the image. I tried a new scenic one and it changed a lot. But still no preview.

I am on KDE Neon 5.22. Place both py and png in the plugin folder and got this error through 3 restarts

" Color Grading Plugin Error: Color Wheel image can't be found. (file: colorwheel_150.png) "

I followed the ReadMe and both files are in the plugin folde.r
Quote:...I am on KDE Neon 5.22. Place both py and png in the plugin folder...

Which type of Gimp installation ? From the neon repo / flatpak / appimage ?
AppImage : GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.25-20210401-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage

This one, thanks.

using the updated/custom gmic you provided on another thread sometime back.
Ok, I have done a quick check in the meantime. Both a flatpak and an appimage.

Both similar: For the appimage: the plugin goes in ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/

However, the plugin expects to find colorwheel_150.png in the regular .config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

Make a new folder structure

Code:
mkdir .config/GIMP
mkdir .config/GIMP/2.10
mkdir .config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

(or use your file manager)
and put the files in the appropriate places: https://i.imgur.com/NZQZFu5.jpg
You are right @rich2005. It works perfectly now. Thanks.
Thumbs Up 
(07-06-2021, 07:49 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The author of the plugin John Lakkas also created the gmic_gimp_qt Color Grading filter. If you need that effect you can go that way.

I confess that I had never tried this filter on the
G'MIC (like many others out there), but I was really positively surprised.

In the first image where I was testing this plugin's settings on the G'MIC, the first impression was that it wasn't a very stable filter, as during use the G'MIC closed out of nowhere (...The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.)

I tried again, and this time I was able to test the adjustments on two images without any problems.

I really liked the results! Mainly for quick edits.

Rich2005, thanks for the tip!
You can also modify the .py script.  One line 194 & 195, insert you sub-folder:

Code:
Line  194:         candidate_dirs = [ os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("~"), "AppData", "Roaming", "GIMP", "2.10", "plug-ins", "Johnak_GIMP_Color_Grading"),

Line  195:              os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("~"), ".config", "GIMP", "2.10", "plug-ins", "Johnak_GIMP_Color_Grading"),
This plugin isn't using the correct way to identify the Gimp directories. The Gimp user profile location can be obtained by gimp.directory (for all OSes and Gimp versions), so all three items in the orignal script (that are various locations for the profile across OSes and Gimp versions) can be replaced by single one:

Code:
candidate_dirs = [os.path.join(gimp.directory,'plug-ins')]

The plugins in the system installation can be found in gimp.plug_in_directory, so we can try either:

Code:
candidate_dirs = [os.path.join(gimp.plug_in_directory,'plug-ins'),os.path.join(gimp.directory,'plug-ins')]

and if you want to check for a plugin in a plugin directory, complement the list by adding a copy where you have added the plug-in directory:

Code:
candidate_dirs += [os.path.join(d,'color_grading_cw_v174') for d in candidate_dirs]

Btw, order is important, the script uses the last existing directory in the list of candidates.

The script seems also to do unholy things to find the color wheel if it runs on a portable version, but normally the above code should take care of that.

As always, remember this is Python and indentation is important.  Editing this code with an editor that tries the "help"(*) like Notepad can break the code.

(*) like a 6yo "helps" Mom & Dad in the kitchen.