Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fileing photos
Just loaded GIMP and brought up a picture from my camera but could not find a way to file it so that I can attach it to my emails.  I admit to being a little dense about computer use at times, but maybe some body can set me straight. Huh
We will need a bit more info as to what you are trying to do. Have you edited the photo and want to email as it is now? Or wanting to reduce it in size? Or ...?

A general rule: In Gimp SAVE as a .xcf file. Then EXPORT as a .jpg (or other format).
As Blighty says. File>Save is only for the XCF format that saves all you work (added layers, selections, paths...). To produce "display" formats such as JPEG/GIF/PNG use File>Export. When you leave Gimp or try to close an image that you didn't save as XCF, Gimp will ask you to confirm. This is a bit painful at teh beginning, but 1) you can get the Ctr-lD reflex. and 2) you will be glad you have this when you start doing complex things with Gimp.
(04-21-2017, 04:47 AM)Blighty Wrote: We will need a bit more info as to what you are trying to do. Have you edited the photo and want to email as it is now? Or wanting to reduce it in size? Or ...?

A general rule: In Gimp SAVE as a .xcf file. Then EXPORT as a .jpg (or other format).

Thanks for your reply Blighty,
The last photo processing software I used was an Adobe version.  What I would do was size the photo (not yet clear to me on Gimp) and simply hit file and sent it to MY PICTURES.  I could also open FILE, and edit a any picture in that file.  At the moment that's all I would like to do with GIMP
until I become more familiar with it.  I should add though that exchanging photos with friends is mostly what I will use GIMP for.  Perhaps there is a more simple method without the many bells and whistles offered on GIMP.

(04-21-2017, 06:23 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: As Blighty says. File>Save is only for the XCF format that saves all you work (added layers, selections, paths...). To produce "display" formats such as JPEG/GIF/PNG use File>Export. When you leave Gimp or try to close an image that you didn't save as XCF, Gimp will ask you to confirm. This is  a bit painful at teh beginning, but 1) you can get the Ctr-lD reflex. and 2) you will be glad you have this when you start doing complex things with Gimp.

Thanks Ofnuts.
I'll follow what you and Blighty has said and see how it goes.