Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp changed canvas size for old figures
Dear experts,

half a year ago i used gimp to create figures where canvas size was quite large (width ~5000 px, height ~13000 px). At that time figures were saved ok and i was able to  export them to png. After a half year, when i try to reopen the original svg files,  the gimp shows me only part of the original canvas ( width~700 px , height~1000 px).  Is there a way how to restore the full canvas?
Many thanks for your help.

Best regards
Filip
What version of linux are you using? Is it different from the version used to create that large png file.

Quote:After a half year, when i try to reopen the original svg files,  the gimp shows me only part of the original canvas ( width~700 px , height~1000 px).  Is there a way how to restore the full canvas?

You can open an svg at any resolution you want. Is it this type of work flow ?

The only thing I can think of at the moment. There is a small canvas open. 
File -> Open-As-Layer  an SVG without adjusting the resolution.

The new layer is larger than the canvas and only part shows.

If that is the case, then: Image -> Fit canvas to layers, shows all or go back to Open-As-Layers and import, setting an appropriate size.
(08-08-2020, 07:42 AM)Dear sir,  thank you very much for your feedback. Wrote: What version of linux are you using? Is it different from the version used to create that large png file.

I am using Ubuntu version 16.04 (xenial). It is the same version which was used to create the figure.

Quote:After a half year, when i try to reopen the original svg files,  the gimp shows me only part of the original canvas ( width~700 px , height~1000 px).  Is there a way how to restore the full canvas?

You can open an svg at any resolution you want. Is it this type of work flow ?

Usually, i open the svg figure with  File->Open

The only thing I can think of at the moment. There is a small canvas open. 
File -> Open-As-Layer  an SVG without adjusting the resolution.

I tried what you recomended but unfortunatelly, this did not help. When i increase the height from 1000 px to 5000 px, the displayed image stays the same. It is just larger in size

The new layer is larger than the canvas and only part shows.

If that is the case, then: Image -> Fit canvas to layers, shows all or go back to Open-As-Layers and import, setting an appropriate size.

Unfortunately, this hint did not help either.

Best regards
                                                               Filip
Quote:Usually, i open the svg figure with File->Open.. and ... When i increase the height from 1000 px to 5000 px, the displayed image stays the same. It is just larger in size

I have no idea of your work-flow from that.

Post an image, like the first one I posted, showing the whole of GImp with image size and SVG import dialogue.
Might be able to figure out what you are doing wrong.
(08-11-2020, 05:49 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:Usually, i open the svg figure with  File->Open..  and ...  When i increase the height from 1000 px to 5000 px, the displayed image stays the same. It is just larger in size

I have no idea of your work-flow from that.

Post an image, like the first one I posted, showing the whole of GImp with image size and SVG import dialogue.
Might be able to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Hello,   I managed to open the files in original size in inkscape, which allows me to edit the file. So i consider the problem to be solved.

Best regards
Filip