Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp does something odd on startup
Whenever I start my laptop, within a couple minutes gimp automatically starts (not my choice) and loads an image of the HP logo.
Why?
Did you drop that image in your startup folder by mistake? Then Windows opens it on startup, and may be set to open that image type with Gimp.
Nope. I installed gimp the day before, and didn't mess with my startup at all.
Still, very unlikely to be Gimp's fault. Problem is more likely to be with a file (which type is is? XCF? JPG? PNG?) that Windows wants to open on startup, and the current system settings make it open with Gimp (on install, Gimp is associated to several image types). Chane the file associations for the type of the image and some other app is going to open the image on startup.

Also note the "by mistake" in my answer... Files often get dropped in very odd places.
You were partially right. The file being opened was an .ICO file, and I changed the file association for .ICO to photo (recommended).
I restarted, and this time gimp didn't open, but my photo program did, and loaded the image of the .ICO file.
I'm assuming it will happen no matter what is associated with it.

Now here's the odd thing. there are only 3 instances of that .ICO file on my LT--see attached image

More odd-That folder(s) doesn't appear when I go looking for it. I can get to it by using "open file location", but all the folders are just strings of numbers and letters.

I would really like to stop this thing from opening itself, any suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-01-2017, 10:23 PM)gimpysparrow Wrote: You were partially right. The file being opened was an .ICO file, and I changed the file association for .ICO to photo (recommended).
I restarted, and this time gimp didn't open, but my photo program did, and loaded the image of the .ICO file.
I'm assuming it will happen no matter what is associated with it.

Now here's the odd thing. there are only 3 instances of that .ICO file on my LT--see attached image

More odd-That folder(s) doesn't appear when I go looking for it. I can get to it by using "open file location", but all the folders are just strings of numbers and letters.

I would really like to stop this thing from opening itself, any suggestions?
You won't find the problem file that way because the Startup folder(*) likely contains a shortcut/link to the file and not the file. Dropping the file extension for the search may be enough. (I think  the file could be named HPLogo_blue.lnk).

(*) by the way, can you show a screenshot of that?
Your wish is my command-

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)