Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp problem with yellow thing
hi, im new to gimp.
When using gimp i ran into a problem where a yellow square appeared and i could not work around it. i found this thread that told me to uncheck the "Show layer boundary" but after doing that i still could not work around where the yellow square was. i have no idea how to make it so that i can work around it.
is there a way to get around this?
without a full screenshot, just guessing....
After you unchecked "Show layer boundary" try:
In the menu Select ➤ None if it's grayed, you can pass this one as you have no selection, if selection ➤ you cannot work/paint outside a selection
or/and in the menu Layer ➤ Layer to Image Size it might be a layer smaller than the image thus you cannot paint/work outside of that layer ➤ we need to enlarge that layer by putting the layer to the image size.

If none of it works, please provide a screenshot with the layers' stack/dialog and the tool options dialog (usually below the tools) with the tool and layer you want to use selected
(06-11-2022, 12:05 AM)freeve4h Wrote: hi, im new to gimp.
When using gimp i ran into a problem where a yellow square appeared and i could not work around it. i found this thread that told me to uncheck the "Show layer boundary" but after doing that i still could not work around where the yellow square was. i have no idea how to make it so that i can work around it.
is there a way to get around this?

A layer is not always the full size of the image (in particular text layers). Hiding the boundary doesn't remove it, if you want to extend the layer to paint outside its initial boundary use Layer > Layer to image size (or Layer > Layer boundary size if you don't need/want to span the whole image).

Very often, it is even better to add another layer instead so that whatever you wanted to add to the initial layer is put on that new layer. The visual result is the same but it makes things a lot easier to amend later.
like Pix said without a screen shot it is hard to tell what you are talking about.
If you are talking about a yellow line that has just 'appeared' it could be the selected layer.
Layer below is larger than the one above in the above picture.
[attachment=8094]
Layer below is smaller than the one above in the picture below.
[attachment=8093]

Smile