Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand drawn line effect
(01-31-2024, 06:43 PM)Robpared Wrote: ...snip...
Thanks. So, have you installed on Mac OS? looks like it's mostly windows based. Mac OS: "use at own risk" caption. Hope is Mac friendly 'cause looks like that's what I need  

The gimp forums are littered with unsuccesful attemps to get gimp_gmic_qt up and running in MacOS. However this appeared today

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/1...os_latest/

If you can not do that,  then go back and look at using a displacement map. I tend to do this manually. The simplex noise works well for the map.

It can be scripted as a python plug-in (attached) Unzip, put rippley.py in your user plug-ins folder and simplex01.pat in your user patterns folder. Make sure the plugin is executable.  It registers bottom of Tools menu.  The usual guarantee - there is none.

Attached Files
.zip   rippley.zip (Size: 41.92 KB / Downloads: 100)
(01-31-2024, 03:44 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 02:16 PM)Robpared Wrote: When I tried to download, the link sent me to page without that plugin, all the ones listed where not free. (Mac OS) I'd like to try it may work?

I confirm, nothing about that plugin to download, and the ones I saw are not free.

Try with G'MIC (it's a free open source plugin, not a chimera), once installed, go to the GIMP top menu Filters > G'MIC_Qt, a window opens, go to Deformations > Crease or Deformation > Ripple

Crease

Ripple
The link to G'MIC Mac OS install is not working. The page is labeled "nobody home, we'll be back"
(01-31-2024, 07:39 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Thanks. So, have you installed on Mac OS? looks like it's mostly windows based. Mac OS: "use at own risk" caption. Hope is Mac friendly 'cause looks like that's what I need  

The gimp forums are littered with unsuccesful attemps to get gimp_gmic_qt up and running in MacOS. However this appeared today

If you can not do that,  then go back and look at using a displacement map. I tend to do this manually. The simplex noise works well for the map.

It can be scripted as a python plug-in (attached) Unzip, put rippley.py in your user plug-ins folder and simplex01.pat in your user patterns folder. Make sure the plugin is executable.  It registers bottom of Tools menu.  The usual guarantee - there is none.
Thanks, dowloaded and installed per instructions, re-started Mac BUT no go on the tools menu. Nothing appears on tools or filters. If I understood correctly, it should be at the very bottom of tools main menu; correct? Also nothing in the transform tools submenu.
(01-31-2024, 08:56 PM)Robpared Wrote: The link to G'MIC Mac OS install is not working. The page is labeled "nobody home, we'll be back"
Oh macos, sorry I over looked this.
Anyway, the link to github works, the one to partha... yeah it seems no more, even worse it looks like it's becoming another type of website
Patrice
(01-31-2024, 10:44 PM)Robpared Wrote: Thanks, dowloaded and installed per instructions, re-started Mac BUT no go on the tools menu. Nothing appears on tools or filters. If I understood correctly, it should be at the very bottom of tools main menu; correct? Also nothing in the transform tools submenu.

Yeah, not showing in the menu, could be that the MacOS Gimp 2.10 no longer comes with python support. You can tell if there is a Python-Fu entry in the Filters menu or if that is there, the plugin maybe not set as executeable. Sometimes happens with new users that the plugin is in the wrong place. However I would not worry about it as you can easily do this manually and adjust the displacemap to get better results.

40 second example: https://i.imgur.com/xVMN6r6.mp4

This from the reddit post I referenced earlier. Reddit posts drop off the radar so quickly, so this the procedure, in case you decide to try it. If you do and get a result, any feedback is welcome for other MacOS users.

Quote:....snip...
version that i was using stopped working a few days ago so i decided to use the latest port from Macport via a redditor's advice and it seems to work.

for my own future reference, i decided to document the list of steps that i took to install gmic for GIMP (macOS) hope this is useful for other people as well.

1. install macport

2. install Xquartz

3. install gmic-gimp via: https://ports.macports.org/port/gmic-gimp/

4. add path to plugins in GIMP under GIMP -> Settings -> Folders -> Plug-ins. default path is: /opt/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins

best of luck.
(02-01-2024, 08:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(01-31-2024, 10:44 PM)Robpared Wrote: Thanks, dowloaded and installed per instructions, re-started Mac BUT no go on the tools menu. Nothing appears on tools or filters. If I understood correctly, it should be at the very bottom of tools main menu; correct? Also nothing in the transform tools submenu.

Yeah, not showing in the menu, could be that the MacOS Gimp 2.10 no longer comes with python support. You can tell if there is a Python-Fu entry in the Filters menu or if that is there, the plugin maybe not set as executeable.  Sometimes happens with new users that the plugin is in the wrong place. However I would not worry about it as you can easily do this manually and adjust the displacemap to get better results.

This from the reddit post I referenced earlier. Reddit posts drop off the radar so quickly, so this the procedure, in case you decide to try it. If you do and get a result, any feedback is welcome for other MacOS users.

version that i was using stopped working a few days ago so i decided to use the latest port from Macport via a redditor's advice and it seems to work.

for my own future reference, i decided to document the list of steps that i took to install gmic for GIMP (macOS) hope this is useful for other people as well.

1. install macport

2. install Xquartz

4. add path to plugins in GIMP under GIMP -> Settings -> Folders -> Plug-ins. default path is: /opt/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins

best of luck.
Thanks, the short video really helped. Playing with it now to see what's the best setting, also seeing if I can save the setting once I find what I like since I do this quite a bit and have to modify my work flow. Also trying the Macport route. I'll post if I can get it to work. Thanks again.
(02-01-2024, 03:52 PM)Robpared Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 08:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote:

Yeah, not showing in the menu, could be that the MacOS Gimp 2.10 no longer comes with python support. You can tell if there is a Python-Fu entry in the Filters menu or if that is there, the plugin maybe not set as executeable.  Sometimes happens with new users that the plugin is in the wrong place. However I would not worry about it as you can easily do this manually and adjust the displacemap to get better results.

1. install macport

2. install Xquartz

best of luck.
Thanks, the short video really helped. Playing with it now to see what's the best setting, also seeing if I can save the setting once I find what I like since I do this quite a bit and have to modify my work flow. Also trying the Macport route. I'll post if I can get it to work. Thanks again.
So, having some success with the noise filter approach BUT (I'm new to GIMP) after I apply the filter and want to tweak it, I can't see what setting I had used on the previous iteration, unless I saved the noise effect in a new file. When I go back and look at the filter, it re-applies it and have to remember what setting I had used previously, so I can further "tweak". I see there are presets but those are only if I really have settled on all the settings, which currently I'm having to write down. Again, I'm a novice with Gimp but searched everywhere to "go back" to look at filters settings and can't find anything. Obviously, I'm missing something... why are filters automatically re-applied?

(02-01-2024, 05:21 PM)Robpared Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 03:52 PM)Robpared Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 08:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Yeah, not showing in the menu, could be that the MacOS Gimp 2.10 no longer comes with python support. You can tell if there is a Python-Fu entry in the Filters menu or if that is there, the plugin maybe not set as executeable.  Sometimes happens with new users that the plugin is in the wrong place. However I would not worry about it as you can easily do this manually and adjust the displacemap to get better results.

best of luck.
So, having some success with the noise filter approach BUT (I'm new to GIMP) after I apply the filter and want to tweak it, I can't see what setting I had used on the previous iteration, unless I saved the noise effect in a new file. When I go back and look at the filter, it re-applies it and have to remember what setting I had used previously, so I can further "tweak". I see there are presets but those are only if I really have settled on all the settings, which currently I'm having to write down. Again, I'm a novice with Gimp but searched everywhere to "go back" to look at filters settings and can't find anything. Obviously, I'm missing something... why are filters automatically re-applied?
NEVER MIND. At least I can look at the time used and recall those settings but it's not the cleanest way...
(02-01-2024, 05:21 PM)Robpared Wrote: NEVER MIND. At least I can look at the time used and recall those settings but it's not the cleanest way...

Click on that + button to save setting (red), then it will be listed in the Presets (green)

Patrice
@Robpared, GMIC is also online. I checked and the filters Pix mentioned are there
You can upload your picture here
https://gmicol.greyc.fr/index.php
and then run a filter on it

Smile
(01-31-2024, 07:39 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

Ok.  A Little late following up, since have been involved in loading GMIC, now that I have that solved, shouldn't the python script be in scripts folder ILO of plus-ins? still trying the script you sent...