Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can I make GIF over a static image?
Hi
I am not expecting very professional work, just want to do it for fun. So I hope the
steps aren't too complicated...

I want to make an image of dinosaur walking around in the background of a place.

As a result, I think I'll first need to create a GIF image of dinosaur walking around.

And then, to put the GIF image on top of a static image (the place)

Would anyone suggest me the simplest way to do so??

Just for fun, not expecting too detailed.... Thanks
Not a dinosaur in the park, but an owl and a man. But I think the idea would be the same.

https://youtu.be/hpCETmjLgEM
Quote:..As a result, I think I'll first need to create a GIF image of dinosaur walking around.

That is the more difficult part, you need your dinosaur moving with some body movement, otherwise looks poor. Needs to be on a transparent background. You can create a single layer, duplicate it, move duplicate a tiny bit, Layer -> Transform -> Offset is useful for this, do some 'dino editing. Then repeat the process building up the animation. You might find a pre-made animation and adapt it, make sure you convert to RGB before any editing.

Adding the background is the easy part. Script / plugin to merge a base layer with each layer above. Ofnuts has a plugin ofn-interleave-layers.py or there is a script-fu here: http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/repo...combine-bg
Hi all

I'd like to start with an easier example. 

Gif is already provided (I don't want to learn about creating GIF)

but then I'd like the background of the GIF replaced with another background

Example gif and image below

I'd like to replace the background of the dynamic dinosaur with another background

How to do it?

I'd like to replace the background of the following dinosaur
https://gifyu.com/image/6SoM

with this background
[Image: gznz.gif]

How to do it? Can someone highlight me the steps?

by the way, by the end of the original gif, when the dinosaur roars,
the background moves up to the sky. If I'd like to have the same
effect on the new background, how should I make it?
The dino gif has 96 layers and the background needs removal from each layer. There is no really easy way.
But first....
The gif is optimised. Use Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimise which creates a new image where every layer is complete.
Change the new image to RGB for editing purposes. Image -> Mode -> RGB and save as a working .xcf image.

Then up to you how the background is removed. Some options, there will be other options. On a layer-by-layer basis
  • The most labour intensive Use the eraser tool to remove the background
  • Make a good initial selection to delete the background. Subsequent layers, modify the selection using quick mask.
  • The g'mic plugin interactive background removal, keeps adjustable settings between editing each layer.
Once you have all 96 layers complete, that new background is a gif, convert it to RGB and resize down to the same size as the dino image.
As previous post there are scripts/plugins to add that to each layer before re-exporting as an animated gif.
(09-27-2020, 09:54 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The dino gif has 96 layers and the background needs removal from each layer. There is no really easy way.
But first....
The gif is optimised. Use Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimise which creates a new image where every layer is complete.
Change the new image to RGB for editing purposes. Image -> Mode -> RGB and save as a working .xcf image.

Then up to you how the background is removed. Some options, there will be other options. On a layer-by-layer basis
  • The most labour intensive Use the eraser tool to remove the background
  • Make a good initial selection to delete the background. Subsequent layers, modify the selection using quick mask.
  • The g'mic plugin interactive background removal, keeps adjustable settings between editing each layer.
Once you have all 96 layers complete, that new background is a gif, convert it to RGB and resize down to the same size as the dino image.
As previous post there are scripts/plugins to add that to each layer before re-exporting as an animated gif.

Hi. I think, by common sense, The most challenging part is removing the background of the dinosaur, and
the computer won't be able to know where is the background. How should I select and delete the background
while preserving the outline of the dinosaur??

btw, first, I am very inexperienced. What does a gif is optimised mean?

Execute the GIMP program
and then File>Open> Dinosaur.gif
and then Filters -> Animation -> Unoptimise

Problem happens here, after "Unoptimise" there is only one frame I can find, I can't find out where is other freames
Hi Rich2005

After unoptimising the gif, there is only one image I can find within GIMP, I do not know how to do next. Please see the screenshot....

Would you tell me the steps in more detailed? I am really very inexperienced[Image: Screenshot-2020-09-28-175412.jpg]

btw, I am now using G'mic to try to remove the background of the dinosaur gif , but looks like
it isn't a smart way, I need to remove the background of each image and the result is not satisfactory,
is there alternative way to batch remove the background? Since the dinosaur has its color mostly different
from the background, is there any way to remove a certain color to transparency in a batch way?
(09-28-2020, 09:57 AM)kenny1999 Wrote: After unoptimising the gif, there is only one image I can find within GIMP, I do not know how to do next.
Would you tell me the steps in more detailed? I am really very inexperienced

You have 96 layers there. Each is a separate image making up the animation. You can check that using Filters -> Animation -> Playback

You will need to edit each of those layers in turn. To make it easier turn all the Layer visibility off using shift-click on the top 'eyeball' icon then as you work down the layers just have the layer you are working on visible.

I just finished a couple of demos, one was for unoptimising, so I can dump that one.

This one, maybe the easiest way for a Gimp novice, using the foreground select tool `Tools -> Selection Tools -> Foreground Select' https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...elect.html

This a demo using foreground select. Does what it says, so invert the eventual selection for the background. https://i.imgur.com/E4fbzjC.mp4

This still took me a minute for one layer, so reckon on a few hours work. One thing is certain, you will be an expert after all 96 layers.

Quote: btw, I am now using G'mic to try to remove the background of the dinosaur gif , but looks like
it isn't a smart way, I need to remove the background of each image and the result is not satisfactory,
is there alternative way to batch remove the background? Since the dinosaur has its color mostly different
from the background, is there any way to remove a certain color to transparency in a batch way?

No, you think the dinosaur is different but it is still made up of red / green / blue. You will remove part of the dino,
(09-28-2020, 10:26 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(09-28-2020, 09:57 AM)kenny1999 Wrote: After unoptimising the gif, there is only one image I can find within GIMP, I do not know how to do next.
Would you tell me the steps in more detailed? I am really very inexperienced

You have 96 layers there. Each is a separate image making up the animation. You can check that using Filters -> Animation -> Playback

You will need to edit each of those layers in turn. To make it easier turn all the Layer visibility off using shift-click on the top 'eyeball' icon then  as you work down the layers just have the layer you are working on visible.

I just finished a couple of demos, one was for unoptimising, so I can dump that one.

This one, maybe the easiest way for a Gimp novice, using the foreground select tool `Tools -> Selection Tools -> Foreground Select'  https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...elect.html

This a demo using foreground select. Does what it says, so invert the eventual selection for the background.  https://i.imgur.com/E4fbzjC.mp4

This still took me a minute for one layer, so reckon on a few hours work. One thing is certain, you will be an expert after all 96 layers.

Quote: btw, I am now using G'mic to try to remove the background of the dinosaur gif , but looks like

No, you think the dinosaur is different but it is still made up of red / green / blue. You will remove part of the dino,

Hi...

I mean, the dinosaur has color generally and visually different from its background (e.g. blue and white sky, and green grass). Is it possible to batch remove color close to blue/white and green first?

or do I still have to remove background of each image (and manually repeat for all 96 images)?
(09-28-2020, 11:45 AM)kenny1999 Wrote: I mean, the dinosaur has color generally and visually different from its background (e.g. blue and white sky, and green grass). Is it possible to batch remove color close to blue/white and green first?

or do I still have to remove background of each image (and manually repeat for all 96 images)?

Repeating the last post No you think the dinosaur is different but it is still made up of red / green / blue. You will remove part of the dino,

OK, you know best. Attached a color-to-alpha batch script. Unzip and put in your User scripts folder. Find it bottom of the Image Menu color-to-alpha All layers

This after running it a few times for various blue from the sky and greens from the grass. Oops .... a semi-transparent dinosaur.

Attached Files
.zip   c2a-all-layers.zip (Size: 677 bytes / Downloads: 102)