Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
non-destructive editing
I got a book by James Carren recently and it talks about non-destructive editing I am assuming he is refering to photoshop. Can you do adjustment layers in gimp? There was another type of layer that had to be copied over because it couldn't be in an adjustment layer it was for highlights and shadows adjustments. Can you do that in gimp too?

What I mean by non-destructive editing is that if you decide you don't want a certain correction but it is behind a ton of other corrections in the history it doesn't remove the others as well.

Where is there an tutorial on how to do this in gimp?
Unfortunately, Gimp does not have adjustment layers.  For me, this is one of the biggest advantages of Photoshop over Gimp.  (There are a few other huge advantages of Photoshop).  When I first seriously used Photoshop, it blew my mind how simple and powerful adjustment layers truly are. Well, maybe not simple to code adjustment layers, but the concept for using them is simple.  

The work-around I use is to duplicate the layer I want to adjust as a backup.  This gets messy and hard to manage if I have many layers and my xcf file becomes enormous with all the duplicates.

Krita has non-destructive adjustment layers.  I think it is called 'layer filters' or 'filter layers'.  

'What I mean by non-destructive editing is that if you decide you don't want a certain correction but it is behind a ton of other corrections in the history it doesn't remove the others as well.' That is one advantage. Another is if you have a layer lower down in the stack, then you can see the changes of the composite image from the changes you make in real time, among others. Of course you don't lose your original information.

'There was another type of layer that had to be copied over because it couldn't be in an adjustment layer it was for highlights and shadows adjustments. Can you do that in gimp too?'  I do not understand this question.

Something I wanted to test in Gimp is using the 'Buffers' dialog to save layers as backups instead of duplicating my layers.  I need to look into that and if anyone here does that, then I would be very much appreciate any advice.  I've never really tested the buffer feature.
Things can get messy in Gimp when you try to tweak an image to perfection.
I use copy visible a lot, and making notes in the layernames. Also screenshots with values of dialogues i used, so they dont get lost.
Sometimes its better to make a copy of the xcf and build on that. Numbering the versions, so you dont forget what came first.

G'MIC has an option for 'Output Message verbose layername' that is very useful.

I have done quite a few things in the past, that i have no idea how i did it, and spend days on trying to reverse engineer.
Often with no success.

Here is a thread i made, containing little tricks that kind of imitate adjustmentlayers:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Box-of...ent-layers
(01-12-2018, 08:35 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: G'MIC has an option for 'Output Message verbose layername' that is very useful.

Wow! thanks!  All this time I have been writing the settings down or taking screenshots of the settings.  What a hassle, and I never noticed . . . .

Another thing about Gmic is to do output mode as a new layer, put a mask on it, and you sort of have a Gmic adjustment layer.  Sort of
(01-12-2018, 12:30 PM)mholder Wrote: Wow! thanks!  All this time I have been writing the settings down or taking screenshots of the settings.  What a hassle, and I never noticed . . . .

Yeah its not obvious. And for a while it was absent too....

You can also save settings in Gimp. Curves for example, Coulorise, etc.
Most of the tools in the Colours Menu.

Luckily rawtherapee has this builtin at least it appears so where you can enable and disable adjustments you made or change them if you like. Without it getting rid of past adjustments you had made.
How do I add scripts to gimp? If I have to manually move it to a folder what permissions does it need?

Edit: Fortunately I don't like to edit my images too much so don't really need this yet but I may in the future as I get better at editing images in gimp and photoshop.
(01-12-2018, 04:31 PM)godek Wrote: How do I add scripts to gimp? If I have to manually move it to a folder what permissions does it need?

Edit: Fortunately I don't like to edit my images too much so don't really need this yet but I may in the future as I get better at editing images in gimp and photoshop.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/install-script-fu.html 

if it is a plugin, then it goes into the plugin folder.  Depends on the operating system where the folder is, but the gimp preferences will show you where the folders are.  Linux requires plugins to be executable.
(01-12-2018, 04:36 AM)mholder Wrote: Something I wanted to test in Gimp is using the 'Buffers' dialog to save layers as backups instead of duplicating my layers.  I need to look into that and if anyone here does that, then I would be very much appreciate any advice.  I've never really tested the buffer feature.

This is interesting, never noticed before.....
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-edit-buffer-dialog.html

Not sure how to integrate into my workflow though.
I tested a little yesterday, and it doesn't seem very useful.  I hoped to use buffers as back-up layers.  The problem is that the buffers are not saved in the xcf file.  As soon as I close Gimp, the buffers disappear.