Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-bend-path error / help?
Trying to learn to manipulate paths better, so I got ofn-bend-paths installed and thought I had set everything up correctly. I have one image (paths) with the two strokes in it. 

The second image (bends) shows what I am trying to bend and the error.

Am I doing something obvious wrong?

Also it does not affect functionality at all, but "should" is missing an L in the error message.

- Ernie
I think there should only be two strokes in each path

(11-25-2020, 12:22 AM)Krikor Wrote: I think there should only be two strokes in each path

Is a stroke the same as a segment?

My confusion arises because everything I can find on "stroke" regarding a path leads me to stroking the path similar to stroking the selection. Is there another terminology I should be using? Just trying to learn. If I have said something obvious wrong and apparent, apologies, I just don't get what the message means.

- E
(11-25-2020, 12:33 AM)eepjr24 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:22 AM)Krikor Wrote: I think there should only be two strokes in each path

Is a stroke the same as a segment?

My confusion arises because everything I can find on "stroke" regarding a path leads me to stroking the path similar to stroking the selection. Is there another terminology I should be using? Just trying to learn. If I have said something obvious wrong and apparent, apologies, I just don't get what the message means.

- E

Quote:In practice the stroke is defined and handled as a series of triplets of points, each triplet being made of the backward handle, the anchor, and the forward handle
Details in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Paths-Basics

Using ofn-path-edits it is possible to check the number of strokes for a selected path

Edit - Path Summary

More informations in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-be...28#pid4628
(11-25-2020, 12:52 AM)Krikor Wrote: Details in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Paths-Basics

Using ofn-path-edits it is possible to check the number of strokes for a selected path

Edit - Path Summary

More informations in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-be...28#pid4628

Thank you, off to read more.

- E
Agreeing with Krikor, you likely have a 3rd stroke somewhere, possibly a stray anchor.

Caveats:
  • ofn-bend-path only alters the path vertically (given the shape you seem to want to wrap it around a half circle). 
  • the ends of the "top" path being below the end of the "bottom" path may confuse the script as to which stroke is "top" and which is "bottom"
Okay, I understand the problem now, going to post just so anyone else who has this problem might have bread crumbs.

I had checked the paths to make sure each of the anchors were connected (each was a single "stroke") using the very crude method of moving the path and seeing if anything stayed behind. I had to do this several times to find what I thought was all of the separate strokes. What I missed is that sometimes a stroke can happen off of the canvas and thus does not show up with my crude method. After being shown the capabilities of ofn-path-edit, I found that I had a stray path, increased the canvas size, use the path edit to select and delete the errant stroke.

Thanks for the point in the right direction, @Krikor.

- E
Is this the effect you are wanting?
Done with polar co-ordinates. Quite a few steps, so not that easy to explain to a beginner. Probably best if Rich could make a short video.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-25-2020, 07:08 PM)Blighty Wrote: Is this the effect you are wanting?
Done with polar co-ordinates. Quite a few steps, so not that easy to explain to a beginner. Probably best if Rich could make a short video.

That's pretty much it exactly. If Rich has time that's great,  but you got me the name of the effect so I'll start reading on that too. 

-E
I think I got close, although I had to do some manual editing to get it close to what I want, but the Polar Coordinates I will need to play with more.

- E