Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-bend-path
(12-04-2022, 08:29 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The problem wasn't with speed, but with an envelope path where the two strokes had the same extremities (the red one for "SOUTHERN" below, so the script couldn't determine which was on top. of course I could tweak the path to avoid this but then I also use that envelope path to draw the "corners".

The new version just compares a pseudo-average height of the strokes (coordinates of the extremities plus topmost handle/tangent), which is simpler (otherwise 81 cases...)

Question;
I am here so I can do that exact thing but with custom text.  And no I do not have great experience.
Mac 12.7.5  Gimp 2.10
I downloaded the script but haven't gone further till I understand it.
Any pointers?

SN3 SYMPOSIUM
SALT LAKE ‘25
font: Libre Baskerville
(05-21-2024, 02:50 AM)DaPenguin Wrote: Any pointers?

You are here. So what are the questions?
Hey, ive just stumbled across this plugin/script. I have to say im quite a noob when it comes to using gimp because i just started. Ive downloaded the newest version and put it in both the script and plugin folder but I cant seem to get it to work. What Ive done is the following: 

1. created the desired text along a flat line to have a source path
2. created a flat bottom line and a curved top line for the envelope path

what did i do wrong that the script doesnt work?

ty for answering me in advance!
(06-03-2024, 10:02 AM)aFraid Wrote: Hey, ive just stumbled across this plugin/script. I have to say im quite a noob when it comes to using gimp because i just started. Ive downloaded the newest version and put it in both the script and plugin folder but I cant seem to get it to work. What Ive done is the following: 

1. created the desired text along a flat line to have a source path
2. created a flat bottom line and a curved top line for the envelope path

what did i do wrong that the script doesnt work?

ty for answering me in advance!

What Operating system ? Some linux versions do not support python plugins.  Ofnuts plugins are python and go in your plugins folder.

As far as I know there are directions on use in the zip you downloaded, also go back to the start of the thread and look at the examples.

This is a 1 minute animation of the process, https://i.imgur.com/t7qSksU.mp4 It is quick but the sequence is this.

1. Make the text with the text tool.
2. Create the text path with Layer -> Text to Path.
      Go to the Paths dock and turn the path visibility on and check what is there.
3. Use the paths tool and create one of the envelope paths. It needs to be slightly wider than the text.
      Hint: Hold the Shift key down and a mouse click will start a new path along-side the first path.
      Complete the second path.
4. Make the text path active in the paths dock.
5. A right click in the Paths dock to bring up the menu. Way down at the bottom is Tools -> Bend. 
      (I used the search tool /? as an alternative way)
6. In the plugin dialog make sure the text and envelope are correct.
7. Apply the plugin.
8. Back to the layers dock and make a new layer (always good to make a new layer) Fill the new path Edit -> Fill Path
9. Turn visibility off for any un-needed stuff.
Thanks a lot for the response rich!

Ive updated my gimp to the newest version and checked the plugin folders again just to find out that I pressed "Download Latest Version" on Ofnuts Gimp Tools, which downloaded the path arrow thing instead of the path bend that I wanted. After fixing that, it was really easy following your step-by-step guide on how to bend text!

Really appreciate the fast response and help!
(06-09-2024, 10:22 AM)aFraid Wrote: Thanks a lot for the response rich!

Ive updated my gimp to the newest version and checked the plugin folders again just to find out that I pressed "Download Latest Version" on Ofnuts Gimp Tools, which downloaded the path arrow thing instead of the path bend that I wanted. After fixing that, it was really easy following your step-by-step guide on how to bend text!

Really appreciate the fast response and help!

If you had tried to read the doc in the ZIP you would have noticed that something was amiss Angel