Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-luminosity-masks
(11-16-2019, 11:09 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 06:14 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Uploaded a new version. Added feature; define your own mask(s) in a side file. Enjoy.

Ofnuts,
But what if the curve also has points on other RGB channels?

The image shows the configuration of my curve. If I only use the values from line # 9 after Points 34, would it be enough for the mask to represent the curve?

The curve applies to a channel, so normally to a grayscale image with a single channel.

A possible technique
  • Create the "L" selection
  • In the channels list:
    • Add a channel, tick the "initialize from selection" (this works arounf the current bug on channels)
    • Select the channel and make it visible
    • Make sure the original L channel is not visible and not selected
  • In the image Window, start the Curves tool, it applies to the channel
  • Adjust the curve so that the parts you are interested in remain visible (the rest turns white)
  • Apply the curve and make a test
Thanks Ofnuts
I made a DDDD, useful for lifting shadows.
Very quick and easy (once I had read the docs on how to refresh the ini).
(11-16-2019, 11:59 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The curve applies to a channel, so normally to a grayscale image with a single channel.

A possible technique
  • Create the "L" selection
  • In the channels list:
    • Add a channel, tick the "initialize from selection" (this works arounf the current bug on channels)
    • Select the channel and make it visible
    • Make sure the original L channel is not visible and not selected
  • In the image Window, start the Curves tool, it applies to the channel
  • Adjust the curve so that the parts you are interested in remain visible (the rest turns white)
  • Apply the curve and make a test

I followed the steps above, and ok, but give the same result I had already displayed at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-lu...6#pid15576

I was trying something impossible a priori.
I should know that masks and channels only work with the Value channel.  Blush
It took me a while to understand why my curve generates a mask that is virtually identical to the L-mask (PatDavid-Lights-L).

BTW I learned a lot of new things by following the steps above, Thx Ofnuts.
Small update, mostly to the documentation. Added a "Raw luminosity" mask (identical to L, but L could change later).

The doc explains how to create your mask and curve from the quickmask.
The script lets you use curves to create our own masks.
But ... would it be possible to create my own masks using the channels I created?
Is there a way to create curves of the desired channels?

Channels Created

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, but it's going to be a bit manual:

- Copy the channel to a layer, scale to 1000px wide
- Take out the pointer dialog, set one coilumn to RGB(%)
- Move your mouse across the layer see where the change points are (with the pointer dialog you can easily tell where/when you hit 0% or 100%.
- Divide x by 1000 to get the X coordinate, and by 100 any of the RGB value to get the Y coordinate, and add to the curve.
(11-19-2019, 05:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Yes, but it's going to be a bit manual:

- Copy the channel to a layer, scale to 1000px wide
- Take out the pointer dialog, set one coilumn to RGB(%)
- Move your mouse across the layer see where the change points are (with the pointer dialog you can easily tell where/when you hit 0% or 100%.
- Divide x by 1000 to get the X coordinate, and by 100 any of the RGB value to get the Y coordinate, and add to the curve.

In Portuguese, we say "this is not my beach" when we are dealing with something that is unfamiliar to us. A bit like "A fish out of water".

But voilà my doubt.
To try to understand better, I used the coordinates of the existing DD and L masks.
DD = 0.00 1.00 0.50 0.00 1.00 0.00
L = 0.00 0.00 1.00 1.00

For the DD copy I found:
X = 0 at 0% at the extreme left point;
X = 500 at 0%;
X = 1000 by 100%
What I would create generating points 0.00 0.00 0.50 00 1.00 1.00 (but as seen above in bold is not the case)

For copy L I found:
x = 0 at 100% first point left;
x = 1000 at 0%.
I would then have: 0.00 1.00 1.00 0.00 (equally different from the expected 0.00 0.00 1.00 1.00).

What am I failing to understand?  Huh

Thx.
I think you are looking at them in the wrong direction.

• The input is dark to light from left to right (like in Curves or Levels)
  • The output "whiteness" indicates selection: black is no selection, white is full selection.
So the dark masks are white on the left, and the light masks are white on the right.
(11-19-2019, 05:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: - Move your mouse across the layer see where the change points are (with the pointer dialog you can easily tell where/when you hit 0% or 100%.

By following these steps, I was able to reproduce the points for the MMM channel.
But for L and DD channels (possibly for others too) it doesn't work.
The 1000x scaled image from the L channel to the points where X changes.

https://imgur.com/a/Kf5nTxv
What you are showing is not the L mask but the D mask. The L mask has the white on the right. See my previous answer.