Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
place text on path, unwanted border on text
just for the record,
I did copy the py directly to the plugin folder,
as per directions...
when that didn't work and I noticed ALL other 
plugins, both .py and .exe,  were in folders I 
thought, ok, maybe it needs to be in a folder...

so now, I have tested with 
only in the users folder, both in a folder and not
only in the system folder, both in a folder and not
in both system and user folders at the same time
did I miss anything?
and lets not go to reinstall windows

and just to double check, I go to the paths dialogue,
right click on the existing path I want to use for the 
text to path, and should have a tools option at the
bottom of invoked drop down, if thats there everything
else should fall into place

just fyi in the preferences, there is a icon to reset folders, see attached
I tried clicking that as well, but no go with that either 

there is another check, to list installed plugins, that shows no 
plugin named ofn..... see attachede, but no surpise there really
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/plug-in-pl...tails.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

While we are at it, the way Gimp computes selections, when two characters overlap, their intersections is not selected so you have voids. In the intial posts the font used makes it even worse, because the bar on the T is actually another shape slapped on the stem instead of being part of it, so there is and intersection between the two.

There is however a workaround for this; where you pick ofn-text-along-path, there is a ofn-text-path-selection script that uses a different algorithm and will correctly (I hope, otherwise please report) make a selection using the "envelope" of all the text.
Quote:... I noticed ALL other  plugins, both .py and .exe,  were in folders I  thought, ok, maybe it needs to be in a folder..

You can put a plugin in a folder but not mandatory for Gimp 2.10.x   It must have the same name as the plugin, less any extension. 
ofn-text-along-path.py goes in a folder named ofn-text-along-path  My advice do not bother.

Quote:there is another check, to list installed plugins, that shows no  plugin named ofn..... see attachede
You should have narrowed the list down using the search option....

Quote:so not sure why you explaining:  "If you find that a plugin is not easy to find, there are ways."
Because you seem to have trouble finding anything

A slow video this time, https://youtu.be/0JGKXYCdt68  7 minutes duration  You should be able to follow it.

Covers :-
Installing the plugin
Finding the menu location using Help -> Plug-in Browser
Opening the plugin - right click context menu in the Paths dialogue
Some settings in ofn-text-along-path plugin
Filling the resulting path.
Alternative way of starting a plugin using the Gimp search tool - the forward slash key.

note: There is a little overlap of the last two characters, see previous post about it.
I've done all that, and thought I clearly explained what the situation is, I guess that has not been understood.
basically for some unknown reason gimp is not recognizing and loading the plugin.
it if was actually there, I wouldn't have to search for it, it would show up via the tools option from the paths
dialogue. btw, it doesn't show up in the search, if its not there it won't be found no matter how much you narrow it

I do notice when gimp is loading, the ofn-text-path-selection flashes by.

so it would be better if the problem of it not loading can be addressed instead of the condesending attitude about
my ability to find things and rehashing what should be happening, been there too many times.

if there is a void problem with gimp text and it can be not only fixed but much more than that with a plugin thats fine
Quote:so it would be better if the problem of it not loading can be addressed instead of the condesending attitude about
my ability to find things and rehashing what should be happening

Not condescending, other Gimp users will maybe want to use this plugin and come across this thread, some useful pointers like using the Gimp 2.10 search function. I went out of my way to make that video using Windows, I am hurt, only joking Wink Ok. You have installation down pat,

Quote:I've done all that, and thought I clearly explained what the situation is, I guess that has not been understood.
basically for some unknown reason gimp is not recognizing and loading the plugin.

There can be reasons for a python plugin not loading,
In linux the gimp-python module might be missing or the plugin not executable.
It will be there for Windows. Sometimes a user will put a zip straight into plug-ins instead of unpacking first. Sometimes the path to the plugins folder gets erased, not in your case, I see the screenshot.

Up to you as a user to check, try other python plugin and see if it works. There are one or two built into Gimp, see if Filters -> Web -> Slice shows up.

The next step is running Gimp from a terminal to see if / what error messages occur and if you see anything, copy and post it here.

When it gets to the stage of never-working-for-you then might be the time to suggest other methods. The vector editing application Inkscape has tools to put text along a path. Either the whole project using Inkscape, or just the text and import the svg into Gimp.
Just a thought: If the .py file is messed up somehow so that it is no longer valid Python, then Gimp does not accept it and there will be no error messages (at least so it is for me).

I made a test: I didn't have the plugin ofn-text-along-path.py before. I downloaded it and tried it. Works ok, no problems. I have Windows 10.
thanks for the ongoing replies
Been trying to narrow down things a bit

- took the slice plugin out of the system directory and put in the users directory, without being in a folder,
and it loaded ok from there

- downloaded and tried 2 other ofn plugins, but they did not load either
ofn-path-edits.py
ofn-rotate-layer.py

- been looking for some other stand alone .py plugin from other than ofn but have not found any yet to test

-ran gimp from the command line and no messaging showed up there

-will be attempting to run gimp in some type of debugging mode or environment to track what might be going on during the plugin loading phase, got a post in the python forum to see what they suggest

-because the ofn plugin names flash by when gimp loads, so its at least doing something with them, I'm hoping there's some flag or setting that some how got bad  and  can be remedied

-just a fyi for windows users, see attached, windows is flagging at least some downloads. there is no message when downloading or extracting the zip file. only the notice on the file properties. I was just checking to see if somehow there were file permissions that might interfere with gimp being able to load the plugin and saw the notice. sure enuf I clicked it as safe and the message went away and the file permissions seem fine, I have complete control for the plugins
I've never seen this before, but I don't usually use the official windows download folder. I suspect it might be something windows does when files are downloaded to the download directory but not other directories. will have to check that sometime

-glad to hear it worked for Ottia, on a win 10 system, I have seen some posts somewhere about gimp problems with 64 bit systems, hope that is not the case on my system

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-02-2021, 01:12 AM)bbxrider Wrote: - been looking for some other stand alone .py plugin from other than ofn but have not found any yet to test

-glad to hear it worked for Ottia, on a win 10 system, I have seen some posts somewhere about gimp problems with 64 bit systems, hope that is not the case on my system

Try one a python plug-in from Ottia ➤ https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Parametric-curves-2 or http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Parametric_curv...aster.html
The plugin will be in Gimp's menu at Filters ➤ Render ➤ Parametric curves ➤ ...

Seeing that last screenshot, I'm really starting to think that all your problems come from the Microsoft OS (I'm shocked with what I read at the "Security" section at the bottom of your screenshot)
In all case try one of the Ottia's plug-in and see if it works or not
If it does not work ➤ the security policies (or something else in the Windows OS) on your computer is blocking them
(12-02-2021, 01:12 AM)bbxrider Wrote: - downloaded and tried 2 other ofn plugins, but they did not load either
ofn-path-edits.py
ofn-rotate-layer.py

How do you tell they didn't load? Several ways to check:

Checking them in the PDB:
  • Filters > Python-fu > Console (if yoy can't find it you can't run Python scripts...)
  • Click the Browse... button
  • In the Search field, enter "ofn", you should get several entries "python-fu-ofn..."
Checking the pluginrc file
  • Navigate to your Gimp profile folder
  • Open the pluginrc file with a text editor
  • Search for the ofn string in it
My Path-related scripts are not in the Filters menu. Most of them are in the right click menu in the Paths list dialog.
Quote:-because the ofn plugin names flash by when gimp loads, so its at least doing something with them ...

I have seen such cases: the plugin name flashes by when Gimp is starting but the plugin never appears in Gimp's menu. It happens often when I have created a new plugin and am trying to get it into Gimp. Apparently Gimp does read the plugin file but rejects it because in the plugin code there is a syntax error or some other error. And Gimp gives no error message, it just silently rejects it.

So, could there be something wrong in the file? (Or perhaps you are just not looking in the right place in the menu, see Ofnuts' post.)