Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python-fu missing, plugins are there
hello,

have been using gimp 2.8.22 for a while on xp3 (32-bit) platform.  wanted to move to vista sp1 (64-bit) platform.  i used the same install for both machines since i cant find a specific vista 64 bit install (gimp-2.8.22-setup)?  research suggested that gimp checks if 32 or 64 bit and installs accordingly (is that correct?)?

everything is working the same on both machines except "python-fu" is not loading/being displayed.   i have verified the folders setup and i have used the plugin browser which does not show the plugins (ex. fog, heal selection).

i have attached shots of user library, program library, gimp shot, and computer details..

i am not sure how to tell or when python is "installed" on this machine?

any help or direction would be appreciated..

thanks dhugg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In your screenshots, you have a python.exe installed, so open a command prompt, navigate to there and start the exe (python.exe, not pythonw.exe). Does it work?

Any other python installed on the machine?

In Program Files/GIMP2/llib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/ you should have a pygimp.interp? Can you edit it and past ethe contents here?
(10-30-2019, 05:14 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In your screenshots, you have a python.exe installed, so open a command prompt, navigate to there and start the exe (python.exe, not pythonw.exe). Does it work?

Any other python installed on the machine?

In Program Files/GIMP2/llib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/ you should have a pygimp.interp? Can you edit it and past ethe contents here?

Thanks for the help,

i have included the shots.  not sure how to tell if other python so i just searched for "py" files.

(10-30-2019, 06:25 PM)dhugg Wrote: I have included the shots.  not sure how to tell if other python so i just searched for "py" files.

You have to look for other python.exe and pythonw.exe.
@dhugg
In that command window screenshot there is a C:\Users\hp\bin\python folder and python 2.5 Sep 19 2006

Where does that come from ?

This is a Win7 32 bit VM and Gimp 2.8 comes with python as:

[Image: 9qJ0ZjE.jpg]

Edit: What do you get for the system path? Is there a python reference anywhere?

[Image: 6euEEIc.jpg]
(10-30-2019, 07:03 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 06:25 PM)dhugg Wrote: I have included the shots.  not sure how to tell if other python so i just searched for "py" files.

You have to look for other python.exe and pythonw.exe.

thanks again,

i did a search of the entire C drive and only 1 instance of python.exe came up along with a pythonw.exe.  i navigated to the directory and executed the only copy of python.exe i found on my machine..  the screen shot is the result.  you had said earlier that you saw python.exe listed on one of my earlier screen shots but looking back i was not able to find it?  i did find some mention of pythonw.exe though.

thanks rich,

ofnuts had asked me to perform the following tasks:
1.In your screenshots, you have a python.exe installed, so open a command prompt, navigate to there and start the exe (python.exe, not pythonw.exe). Does it work?
2.Any other python installed on the machine?
3.In Program Files/GIMP2/llib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/ you should have a pygimp.interp? Can you edit it and past ethe contents here?

your question is related to question1:
to accomplish it i did a search of the entire C drive and only 1 instance of python.exe came up along with a pythonw.exe. i navigated to the directory and executed the only copy of python.exe i found on my machine.. the screen shot is the result.

i did a search of the entire C drive and only 1 instance of python.exe came up along with a pythonw.exe. i navigated to the directory and executed the only copy of python.exe i found on my machine.. the screen shot is the result. you had said earlier that you saw python.exe listed on one of my earlier screen shots but looking back i was not able to find it? i did find some mention of pythonw.exe though.

sorry ofnuts dont know how to get back to your post to reply to you since everytime i reply it goes to rich???
Do not worry too much about who your post go to. Most of the information is in your screenshots.

[Image: 52sdbeH.jpg]

You have a completely separate python installation in C:\hp\bin\Python (1) Do you know where that came from?

In your Gimp 2.8 installation there is a folder Python (2) Look in it and there should be files like (3) If they are not there, then definitely no python.

If that looks OK (and it should from your previous replies) then you need to simplify as much as possible. You have a lot of plugins installed, not all will be compatible with Gimp 2.8 (example: gimp-painter was a Gimp 2.6 spin-off)

Do not delete anything. Disable by re-naming.
1. Rename your gimp profile C:\dhuggstuff\.gimp-2.8 to C:\dhuggstuff\.gimp-2.8-backup
2. Run Gimp and let it make a new default (empty) gimp profile.
3. Make a new empty canvas. Use Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Fog (a built-in python plugin). Does that work?

If it does work, then start adding your plugins from .gimp-2.8-backup one at a time testing as you go.

If you still do not have working python then rename C:\hp\bin\Python to C:\hp\bin\Python-backup. Hope that it disables that old python and does not break anything important. Run Gimp and repeat step 3 from above.

Still not working? Going to be a problem with that Windows installation Smile Try a portable Gimp 2.8.22
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl...e/download
That is 32 bit only, just tried in Win7 32 bit and OK.
1.  i have no idea about the completely seperate installation of python.  it was a result of something ofnuts asked me to do (find python.exe, navagte to, execute).  i still have no idea why a search of the C: drive did not show an instance in program files\gimp2??  if i seasrch program files it appears??  also the "C:\hp\" directory does not show up on windows explorer (i have included a screen shot)??

2.   yes, my mistake, the files do exist in the gimp installation (i have included a screen shot).

3.   i realize that some of my plugins are not functional in my 2.8.22 installation.  i am in the process of weeding out plugins and scripts i dont use or dont work (example: gimp-painter).  this installation with this profile is working well on my XP platform..

4.   i have renamed my profile to a backup, ran gimp, created new profile.  the "Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Fog" does not appear (i have included a screen shot).

5.   i have renamed the C:\hp\bin\Python to C:\hp\bin\Python-backup. restarted the machine and restarted gimp and the "fog" option still does not appear.

6.   also, now that i found the copy of python.exe in gimp, i repeated the step that ofnuts asked me to do by navagating to and executing the python.exe in my GIMP library.  it gets an error message about "side by side" issues (i have included a screen shot)??

7.   is there any other way to get the "portable" version of gimp 2.8.22?  i have never been able to get to "sourceforge", my computers tell me it cant provide a secure connection with no options??  please keep in mind that this installation with all these plugins and scripts is working fine on my XP machine...

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!    dhugg

You have me beat. Last time I had to sort out a problem like yours,I had to take the computer for a couple of days to clean it up.

Quote: 1. i have no idea about the completely seperate installation of python. it was a result of something ofnuts asked me to do (find python.exe, navagte to, execute). i still have no idea why a search of the C: drive did not show an instance in program files\gimp2?? if i seasrch program files it appears?? also the "C:\hp\" directory does not show up on windows explorer (i have included a screen shot)??

If you did not install it then must have come with the computer. Is it in the uninstall menu ?

Quote:6. also, now that i found the copy of python.exe in gimp, i repeated the step that ofnuts asked me to do by navagating to and executing the python.exe in my GIMP library. it gets an error message about "side by side" issues (i have included a screen shot)??

I assume the error message is because Gimp finds that old version of Python. Could be that the there is a Windows registry entry loading it. Who knows.

For reference, Win7 Gimp 2.8 would get something like (not really meant meant to be run on its own)

[Image: fZRm7lb.jpg]

One last try. Go to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe and run as administrator Unlikly to make any difference.
Maybe someone has more ideas, I am out of options.
hmmmmm

thanks for the help rich..

i tried running as admin and no differences...

as far as "cleaning up the machine" i just did a factory restore on this machine and this is the first and only thing i installed or added?? i am not sure there is much to clean up?

is 2.8.22 the highest i can go for vista or is there a newer version (or possibly an older version)?

hopefully we can get it figured out or ill just have to go back to old reliable XP...

thanks again dhugg