Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resynthesize without heal-plugins
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and I tried to install gimp 2.10.18 via apt from the ubuntu-repositories and via ppa:otto-kesselgulasch
In both cases i was able to install gimp-plugin-registry too, I get Filter/Map/Resynthesize, but no Filter/Enhance/Heal selection nor Heal transparency.
I tried to install resynthesizer from different sources I found in the web, all with the same effect.

Running gimp from the terminal, I get this errors:

Quote:Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-heal-transparency.py", line 28, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
ImportError: No module named gimpfu
gimp: LibGimpBase-WARNUNG: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-heal-selection.py", line 30, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-uncrop.py", line 46, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-resynth-sharpen.py", line 32, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-resynth-fill-pattern.py", line 33, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-resynth-enlarge.py", line 29, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-render-texture.py", line 61, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
  File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-map-style.py", line 110, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
GIMP-Fehler: Plug-in "gimp-lqr-plugin"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gimp-lqr-plugin)
attempted to install procedure "plug-in-lqr" with invalid parameter name "output target".

GIMP-Fehler: Plug-in "gimp-lqr-plugin"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gimp-lqr-plugin)
attempted to register the menu item "<Image>/Layer/" for the procedure "plug-in-lqr".
It has however not installed that procedure.  This is not allowed.

I checked file permissions and ownership as suggestet in some posts, but now I'm running out of ideas...
Ubuntu 20.04 does not support python 2.x Gimp 2.10.18 from the 'buntu repo ( using apt) has no python support at all. Using the PPA will break packages.

I have tried various mixes without success.

Providing you do not need QT support (for the gmic plugin) then either install the 'snap' version from Ubuntu or the flatpak (see gimp.org for installation details) Both come with python 2.7 built in.

An alternative where both python and QT work is the Gimp 2.10.18 appimage.
AFAIK on 20.04 you can still install python v2 (python2 package). No longer installed by default, though.
Actually I have python --version
Python 2.7.18rc1
I tried it with python3, too.

There is no package gimp-python in ubuntu 20.04, the one from 19.10 did't install...

I think I will try the snap/flatpack versions, but - honestly - I don't like any of them, so I hope to get the packaged gimp running...
Just in case there is  a miracle, the attached TGZ contains the files that come with gimp-python in my 19.10.

Attached Files
.gz   pygimp1910.tar.gz (Size: 215.99 KB / Downloads: 226)
(04-29-2020, 09:52 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Just in case there is  a miracle, the attached TGZ contains the files that come with gimp-python in my 19.10.

Thanks, I tried, but now I ran into another problem:

Quote:ImportError: could not import pygtk

There is no python-gtk2 in focal...

Ok, but I tried python-gtk2 from eon, and....

It worked!
I tried something similar yesterday, grafting the python from the 2.10.18 'snap' into the 2.10.18 from the 'bunto repo. No success then, but looking at your archive I missed some files Wink

First try: needed more permissions
Quote:Parsing '/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/default.interp'
Parsing '/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/pygimp.interp'
GIMP-Warning: Could not open '/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/pygimp.interp' for reading: Error opening file /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/interpreters/pygimp.interp: Permission denied
..etc...

Second try: after upping permissions
Quote:Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/python-eval/python-eval.py", line 19, in <module>
from gimpfu import *
gimp: LibGimpBase-WARNING: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
File "/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/python-console/python-console.py", line 19, in <module>
from gimpfu import *
....etc...

These the python2 support in 'buntu 20.04: https://i.imgur.com/1RUUunA.jpg

You can not even install Gimp 2.10.14 from the PPA - broken packages.

I dare say someone will come up with a backward support for python plugins, otherwise I can see ubuntu users going elsewhere. PClinuxOS is a rolling release and that manages ok.
Or as this wonderful remark in pixls.us quote - We should probably do a sticky thread in the gimp forum. “yes we know python2 support is disappearing and it is good My thoughts on that - expletive deleted.
FYI: Python 2 packages are not broken; Python 2 is past end-of-life.  Python 3 was released at the end of 2008.

Don't kill the messenger, I'm affected by this too.  Installing from SNAP or Flatpak might be a workaround, but reality is the all Python 2 plugins are WAY out of date.

Sorry,
Lance
Do not be sorry, I have seen this comment before. As I see it the issue is not dump Python 2, it is there is no Python support provided in the Ubuntu 20.04 Gimp packages. There are other distros where it is provided

You use linux, I use linux The majority of Gimp users are Windows based. I dare say Python 2 support will be in that version for some time.

As it happens a contributer came up with some packages that work see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...1#pid18351

I am not a coder, everything I need has already been done. I will not reinvent the wheel.

However, I sometimes wonder about the way things are going. This from a Gimp developer

Quote:Vala plug-ins are now a thing for future...Python 3, Javascript, Lua, now Vala and of course C/C++. There will be (something) nearly for every taste!

Great: I wonder when Sanskrit will be added to list. What is needed is what has been requested for years, a straight forward macro utility. Not script-fu (that polish notation always catches me out Wink )
This from the Gimp developers about Gimp 3 and plugins

Quote: tested and work well: Python 3, Lua, Javascript and Vala.
(Note: Python 2 is also still working, but considering that this
language is end-of-life since 2020, we don't really care).

Fair enough, Python3 and the rest of the cryptic stuff.

What I really object to is we don't really care That shows real disdain for their regular user base.