Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trouble getting g'mic to work in 2.10.18 in Linux
Greetings, folks--
I am running Linux Mint 19.1.  I recently had to reinstall GIMP 2.10.18 and when I went to use the g'mic installer it said that a newer version of it was already installed.  I checked the preferences/folders/plug-ins and sure enough there was a file "gmic_gimp_qt-mint 19."  However there is no sign of it in my filters pull down menu.  Can anyone please help me?  Thanks.
How did you install Gimp 2.10.18 in LM19 ? AFAIK you get Gimp 2.8.22 from the LM repo or Gimp 2.10.14 from the 'buntu PPA

Did you install a flatpak Gimp 2.10.18 ? If you did then there is no QT support and the plugin gmic_gimp_qt will not work.

Give a bit more info and maybe some alternative options available.
Thanks, Rich--
I did install via flatpak.  I was having trouble with my installations of GIMP 2.10.18 & 2.10.19 (an appimage) so I got rid of them both.  The flatpak install of 2.10.18 worked fine.  The appimage of 2.10.19 still does not work: no matter what tool I select, I will get the pointer icon for it but the tool itself will not do anything.  Any suggestions as to how I can get 2.10.18 or 2.10.19 working with G'mic?  Thanks again for your help.
I use kubuntu 18.04, which uses the same 'bionic' base as LM19 The Gimp I use is still Gimp 2.10.14 more than adequate for most use. That comes from a ubuntu PPA and installs as this post https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2...-18-04-LTS Do not be put off by the title, it will get you 2.10.14

Then I keep a gimp_gmic_qt plugin just for ubuntu 18.104 / LM19 here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-gmic-g...untu-18-04 You could try that one.

I also run an appimage 2.10.18 as a try-out and in case of questions about it. I find that works extremely well, and is worth another try despite your earlier problems. The version with plugins comes with gimp_gmic_qt already installed.

I use appimage unpacked, so it is more permanent than portable. I will give some details about that tomorrow. Have to close down now Wink
Thanks for the help--look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.
Greetings Rich--
I solved my own problem:  I simply deleted the directory /home/peter/.config/GIMP-AppImage and that set everything back to the original settings.  Now the AppImage for 2.10.19 with plugins will work no problem!  Now I just need to remember this fix in case it happens again!
(04-27-2020, 09:48 PM)petedecember Wrote: Greetings Rich--
I solved my own problem:  I simply deleted the directory /home/peter/.config/GIMP-AppImage and that set everything back to the original settings.  Now the AppImage for 2.10.19 with plugins will work no problem!  Now I just need to remember this fix in case it happens again!

Next time just erase the pluginrc file in that directory, it should be sufficient to make Gimp rescan all its plugins. Bu in genral it does the right thing, pluginrc has the timestamp of the plugin files, on startup Gimp checks if the timestamp of any file has changed, and if so reloads that specific plugin.