Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two subjects...transform & text
Hello Gimp Users,
I used to hold shift down if I wanted the transform tool to move only one way….   Now I have to push the shift button to resize both    horizontal   and vertlcal.  I downloaded the latest Gimp.  Is there a preference I can fix ?

This is a second question.   Many times a person will answer the first question and not  read the second.
  Also,  a second unrelated problem I have is with the text tool.    The “return” button doesn’t work.   It won’t go to the second line.   I have to do another text tool for the next line.

Terry  Shy
(05-24-2023, 11:27 PM)Terry50 Wrote: Hello Gimp Users,
I used to hold shift down if I wanted the transform tool to move only one way….   Now I have to push the shift button to resize both    horizontal   and vertlcal.  I downloaded the latest Gimp.  Is there a preference I can fix ?

Which transform tool ? I am assuming say, the Scale Tool since the more recent Unified Transform Tool has a lot more options.

Bottom of the Scale Tool Options is a Shift Toggle. You possibly have that reversed. The default is Keep aspect (shift) If unticked then tick it or bottom of the tool options is a tool reset icon.

30 second example: https://i.imgur.com/T820GJ3.mp4

Quote:This is a second question.   Many times a person will answer the first question and not  read the second.
  Also,  a second unrelated problem I have is with the text tool.    The “return” button doesn’t work.   It won’t go to the second line.   I have to do another text tool for the next line.

A function of a forum. Often a question is poorly posed or whoever replies pushes their own agenda.

However, in this case the Text tool, entering text and an Enter/Return does not add a newline.
Sorry but it works here in linux so could be a MacOS thing.
(05-24-2023, 11:27 PM)Terry50 Wrote: Hello Gimp Users,

This is a second question.   Many times a person will answer the first question and not  read the second.

Terry  Shy

As a person who answers, and as an admin: posting two distinct questions is a lot better
  • easier to fins with search engines
  • people may have the answer only to one question, so answer only that one and you post look answered
  • your questions could belong to different domain and belong to different topics
So, having answered one of you three questions, the two others:

To keep you options as you like them, see this thread: Managing tool options and window positions

Plain [enter] goes to a new line in the same text layer for me (you may have something that interferes with the keyboard handling). Two way to try to bypass:
  • Try [shift-enter] or [ctrl-enter] that appear to work just as well and may be be interpreted like a plain [enter]
  • Prepare the multi-line text in a text editor on the side, then copy-paste tp the Gimp text entry box?