Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updating from Gimp 2.10.2 to 2.10.4
To uninstall or to not uninstall, that is the eternal burning question....

Does the 2.10.4 update my existing Gimp 2.10 ?

and how do i make sure my also existing 2.8 stays untouched ?
(07-06-2018, 09:49 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: To uninstall or to not uninstall, that is the eternal burning question....

Does the 2.10.4 update my existing Gimp 2.10 ?

At the moment that is the best way to go. see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Normal...93#pid9193

Quote:and how do i make sure my also existing 2.8 stays untouched ?

I do not know for certain. It should follow usual conventions and use wherever Gimp 2.10.2 was installed.

However easy to take some precautions and temporarily rename your Gimp 2.8 installation to C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8--backup or similar. Change it back later.
I tried to be safe than sorry, so i edited the C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8 foldername,
then uninstalled 2.10.2.

The installation of 2.10.4 went without any problems but upon start i got the error: web-page.exe libenchant.dll is missing and another one for help-browser.exe and the same dll.
After clicking ok, Gimp starts anyway and appears to be usable.

So i uninstalled 2.10.4 again. Reinstalled 2.10.2, restarted the computer and installed 2.10.4 on top.

Seems to be okay but a bunch of icons are missing in the menu and tabs. Instead there are little dots.

(07-06-2018, 11:24 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: I tried to be safe than sorry, so i edited the C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8 foldername,
then uninstalled 2.10.2.

The installation of 2.10.4 went without any problems but upon start i got the error: web-page.exe libenchant.dll is missing and another one for help-browser.exe and the same dll.
After clicking ok, Gimp starts anyway and appears to be usable.

So i guess that means you should not uninstall 2.10.2.

At the moment that is the case

Probably would have been better to wait a few days, very likely a replacement Windows installer will be issued.

However if you want libenchant.dll from 64 bit Gimp 2.10.2 get attached.

Unzip and put in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin

Attached Files
.zip   libenchant.dll.zip (Size: 21.56 KB / Downloads: 426)
see my edited post

should we make a bug report or something ?
There is already a report about libenchant.dll

Missing icons? Have you tried going into Edit -> Preferences -> Icon Theme and tried any of the alternatives?

I did not notice that as a problem when I did a clean install. Will try again. Remember even if you uninstalled Gimp 2.10.2 the Gimp profile + settings remains behind.
(07-06-2018, 12:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Missing icons? Have you tried going into Edit -> Preferences -> Icon Theme and tried any of the alternatives?

They are missing everywhere...even in the Preferences Menu.
Nothing changes in terms of missing icons when i change to a different Theme or Icon Theme.
When you originally added Gimp 2.8 back along side Gimp 2.10.2 did you change the Gimp installation Folder name? That was one way of having both versions.

Try deleting the whole of the Gimp 2.10.4 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10

and run Gimp to make a new default one.

I just did clean install of Gimp 2.10.4 again and all the icons are there.
(07-06-2018, 12:24 PM)rich2005 Wrote: When you originally added Gimp 2.8 back along side Gimp 2.10.2 did you change the Gimp installation Folder name? That was one way of having both versions.

Yes and 2.8 is still installed.

Quote:Try deleting the whole of the Gimp 2.10.4 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10

and run Gimp to make a new default one.

Okay, i deleted the folder as you said, then restarted.
The folder is rebuild and Gimp starts with the defaults (dark theme, single window mode, nothing customised, etc.)

The icons are still missing. Even when i change the Theme/Theme Icons to 'Legacy'.
Quote:...The icons are still missing. Even when i change the Theme/Theme Icons to 'Legacy'.

Beats me, I can not reproduce that with a clean install. Get the error messages but otherwise it looks normal. I am out for the rest of the afternoon but how was Gimp 2.8 / Gimp 2.10.2 set up?

Which one was set to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\ 2.8 or 2.10?