Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrading kubuntu
One of the brewers in my local pub supplies throwaway coasters. These have a cartoon of some sort on one side. This is todays offering and a clip from the text on the reverse side.

Now for the whinge, This computer, my old laptop, Installed kubuntu 22.04 (was 18.04) Curses on 'ubuntu, not everything working 100% The wireless scan into Gimp using xscanimage works. My preferred xsane works fine on its own but as a Gimp plugin, nothing. Such is life-in-linux.
Thats kind of funny.

Good you upgraded your Kubuntu. I bought 4 laptop hard drives online and installed a different linux on each one. As long as the partitioning is compatible (UEFI v Bios mode) they work on any PC. I prefer this to virtualization because its portable.

The hardest one to use was Debian. They seem to have made a lot of obstacles to being able to use it. Opening a terminal brings up 'by now you have been read the riot act by your system administrator' blah, blah. All the obstacles are mostly about security so once you have undermined the whole security strategy you can begin using it. At that point you have invested so much time that you realize you like it. Its seems quite solid.
Anyway have fun with the newer system Smile
Ubuntu and derivatives are based on Debian so they tend to be conservative. I am generally slow in upgrading, wait for wrinkles to be ironed out but the kubutu 18.04 installation was well beyond end-of-life. Even my kubuntu 20.04 laptop is eol next April. I am well used to installing linux and generally I get everything up-and-running quickly. It is all about productivity, new is not necessarily best for work flow.

However, I suspect this came straight from the depths of Debian foolishness. Never seen anything like that before. Dumbed down yet again. Continue and it crashes.

Tesla ....argggghhh...One of the guys I have a beer with has a Tesla, even worse he is an electrical engineer, I am tired of listening to how great Tesla is.
One advantage of kubuntu is it is easier to run kdenlive. On a non-kubuntu system it has a huge number of dependencies. I installed it via PPA and it has become a very professional looking video editor.
(10-21-2022, 07:53 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: One advantage of kubuntu is it is easier to run kdenlive. On a non-kubuntu system it has a huge number of dependencies. I installed it via PPA and it has become a very professional looking video editor.

That would be also true on any system where you ave installed KDE Plasma? Fedora even has a KDE edition.