Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vertical text
I can't seem to find *anywhere* how to make editable vertical text fields. I keep an archive of templates that have vertical text fields that have to be updated with each use (example: a book cover or DVD cover template will have a vertical text field for the spine title). the options I find all end up with a rasterized layer rather than an editable text field. HELP!!

I want to use gimp full-time & ditch photoshop, but until I can figure out this problem, I'm stuck with photoshop.

Thank You,
Burn (first time poster)
Unfortunately, that is the way Gimp works.

Create your text (Layer 1). Then duplicate this layer and rotate 90 degrees (Layer 2). Use the eye to make Layer 1 invisible.

To edit, do the editing on Layer 1. Then duplicate again, etc.
Inkscape has vertical text.

(06-16-2018, 09:09 PM)Blighty Wrote: Unfortunately, that is the way Gimp works.

Create your text (Layer 1). Then duplicate this layer and rotate 90 degrees (Layer 2). Use the eye to make Layer 1 invisible.

1) is there any way to suggest to the people coding gimp to add this feature? it's so basic, it blows my mind that it's not possible!
2) i will try doing as you suggest & see how it goes.

see attached for the first example i could find of what i'm talking about

(06-16-2018, 10:38 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Inkscape has vertical text.

i will check it out, thank you for the recommendation
(06-16-2018, 09:09 PM)Blighty Wrote: Unfortunately, that is the way Gimp works.

after much thrashing, i was able to put out a passable product. the workaround works, but it's the most retarded workaround i've had to use since i used to do page layout with quark express.

...come to think of it, maybe i should be looking for a page layout program rather than a graphics program

(06-16-2018, 10:38 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Inkscape has vertical text.
just tried it, inkscape's vertical text is NOT what i'm looking for. please see my screenshot above of my movie cover template to see what i'm looking for.
(06-16-2018, 08:06 PM)burn Wrote: I can't seem to find *anywhere* how to make editable vertical text fields. I keep an archive of templates that have vertical text fields that have to be updated with each use (example: a book cover or DVD cover template will have a vertical text field for the spine title). the options I find all end up with a rasterized layer rather than an editable text field. HELP!!

I want to use gimp full-time & ditch photoshop, but until I can figure out this problem, I'm stuck with photoshop.

Thank You,
Burn (first time poster)
turns out I needed a page layout program after all. I downloaded scribus and it does what I wanted. shame, I wanted to like gimp. *shrug*
Looks like the OP has shrugged off to land of Scribus, not too sure I would do that, I go with Espermaschine and Inkscape. Text can be rotated 90 deg and remain editable.

Not impossible in Gimp. There are vertical fonts, not too many, and entering text is in reverse Wink but it is editable.

[Image: ej5Cy1u.jpg]

Other text is just a matter of using carriage returns to start a new line.

Just an observation.
I do not know if the OP intends printing these but 764 x 524 image size is quite small. Only 60mm x 40mm @ 300 ppi.
(06-17-2018, 08:37 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Looks like the OP has shrugged off to land of Scribus, not too sure I would do that,

If what you need is mostly accurately positioned text, Scribus is the tool.
(06-17-2018, 12:06 AM)burn Wrote: just tried it, inkscape's vertical text is NOT what i'm looking for.

look again
(06-17-2018, 10:34 AM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 12:06 AM)burn Wrote: just tried it, inkscape's vertical text is NOT what i'm looking for.

look again
why would i, when i found something that doesn't make me comb through old help forums and beg for assistance to do a simple thing that every single graphics tool with text handling should be able to easily and quickly do? i downloaded inkscape, on your advice. i tried it. i couldn't figure out how to do what i wanted. i looked it up, watched 3 youtube videos, still couldn't get it to do what i wanted. but guess what... scribus did exactly what i needed, and i didn't have to look up anything at all because the tools were intuitive and easy to find. i don't have anything against inkscape, i'm glad it works for some people. but for my specific needs, it is either inadequate or hard enough to figure out how to use that it wasn't helpful. i've worked in prepress graphic design as well as web design. gimp has been around for AGES. there's no excuse for it just not doing something so basic. it's shameful. you can't tell me i'm the only person to ever run into this problem. i'm sure the developers have been aware of this issue since probably the mid-90s. if they can't be bothered, neither can i. i'm not going to fight a program to get it to do what i want.