Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very few file type export options
Since upgrading to Gimp 2.10.2 on both my computers, I'm confused by my "Export As" window.  

How do I choose a file tyle extension?  The + sign to the left of "Select File Type" seems to do nothing.  

When I click the "All export images" button I get very few options:

[Image: Gimp_File_Types20_06_20.jpg]

Then when I click the Export button usually nothing happens (whether or not I leave the extension unchanged in the Name field; in other words if I manually change it to PDF from the pre-loaded PNG extension); occasionally I do get the next window to confirm export options.

Ack! I hope this is fixable, or I'll need to downgrade to an older version.
(06-20-2018, 09:36 PM)coyote Wrote: Since upgrading to Gimp 2.10.2 on both my computers, I'm confused by my "Export As" window.  

How do I choose a file tyle extension?  The + sign to the left of "Select File Type" seems to do nothing.  

When I click the "All export images" button I get very few options:

[Image: Gimp_File_Types20_06_20.jpg]

Then when I click the Export button usually nothing happens (whether or not I leave the extension unchanged in the Name field; in other words if I manually change it to PDF from the pre-loaded PNG extension); occasionally I do get the next window to confirm export options.

Ack!  I hope this is fixable, or I'll need to downgrade to an older version.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Plug-ins. There should be two directories listed, one in your user files (normally under  C:\users\{your_id}\...), and one in the Gimp installation tree (C:\Program files\GIMP 2\...). If you navigate to the latter it should be full of files named file-{filetype}.exe or file-{filetype}-load.exe and file-{filetype}-save.exe. If you don't find anything there, you are likely also missing many filters...

If they are missing, this may be a glitch due to a bad installation (possibly installing standard 2.10 over "alternate" 2.8 or vice-versa").
A million thank yous for your (incredibly swift) reply, Ofnuts!

It the second folder (listed in Preferences|Folders|Plugins) I do have tons of file type exes:

[Image: Gimp_Plugins2018_06_20.jpg]

As for my installations, I recall that when I posted (I see to [Gimp-user] that the 2.10 installers wouldn't work on my 32bit OS',  Jernej Simončič kindly did some work on them and then they did work for me.  Perhaps he won't mind if I forward a link to this thread to him, I'll try that now.
If you have the skills, open a command prompt, navigate to that directory, and execute one of the .EXEs. Is it complaining that it should be launched by Gimp or is there a more dramatic error?
Quote:.. I posted (I see to [Gimp-user] that the 2.10 installers wouldn't work on my 32bit OS', Jernej Simončič kindly did some work on them and then they did work for me....

Do you have a link to that? Assuming it is gimpuser forum not easy to find anything there.
(06-20-2018, 11:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you have the skills, open a command prompt, navigate to that directory, and execute one of the .EXEs. Is it complaining that it should be launched by Gimp or is there a more dramatic error?

Here's the error I get

[Image: Gimp_File_DLLerror2018_06_21.jpg]

whenever I try to execute one of the filetype EXEs, regardless of whether I do so in File Explorer or a command prompt, and regardless of whether I'm executing it as Administrator or not.

(06-21-2018, 08:17 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:.. I posted (I see to [Gimp-user] that the 2.10 installers wouldn't work on my 32bit OS',  Jernej Simončič kindly did some work on them and then they did work for me....

Do you have a link to that? Assuming it is gimpuser forum not easy to find anything there.

Sorry, as it's a mailing list I didn't think of that, but in the list archives here's a link from before Jernej generously took it offlist to email with me:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-use...00039.html

(06-21-2018, 03:40 PM)coyote Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 11:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you have the skills, open a command prompt, navigate to that directory, and execute one of the .EXEs. Is it complaining that it should be launched by Gimp or is there a more dramatic error?

Here's the error I get

[Image: Gimp_File_DLLerror2018_06_21.jpg]

whenever I try to execute one of the filetype EXEs, regardless of whether I do so in File Explorer or a command prompt, and regardless of whether I'm executing it as Administrator or not.

Unfortunately I get the same error in a working Gimp setup. Can you ZIP the pluginrc file in your Gimp profile and attach it here?
There have been several reports about Gimp 2.10.2 32bit not working.

Examples: A Win7 32bit VM, I removed Gimp 2.8 first, including profile, for a clean install.

Gimp 2.8.2 2.10.2 from gimp.org, custom install, unticked translations to save space

No icons initially. The only icon set available is the legacy set.
Opens images ok.
Does not save or export xcf / png / jpeg. screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/ItxbLHd.jpg

Alternatives:
For 32 bit not much choice, the portableapps.com people have reverted back to Gimp 2.8 because of the problems, this using the portable Gimp 2.10.2 from samj

No icons initially, only the legacy set. Still some missing which I think would be fixed using Kevins bespoke set. (edit: see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-User-I...Pro?page=4 )
Image open ok.
Images save and export ok. screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/4Qgmdz4.jpg
Un-/Re-installing 2.10.2 didn't help at all on either of my PCs. (I uninstalled with Revo.)

Since I've got the issue on both computers, and since the 2.10 installer needed work before I could install it on either of them, I suspect there's an issue I hope can please be addressed.

I'm going to uninstall again, then install 2.8.22 since I have something important I need it for now.
(06-22-2018, 05:09 PM)coyote Wrote: Un-/Re-installing 2.10.2 didn't help at all on either of my PCs.  (I uninstalled with Revo.)

No it does not, Gimp 2.10.2 as far as 32 bit is concerned is broken.

Quote:I'm going to uninstall again, then install 2.8.22 since I have something important I need it for now.

Not a bad idea, I should have given a reference to the samj portable Gimp 2.10.2
see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-new-us...68#pid8768

and if you want, this will co-exist with Gimp 2.8

happy gimping