Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where can i get a font with a triangle ?
I guess its something like wingdings, but im unsure if wingdings 3 is a commercial font or not.

Want to make something like this with text along path.

Better use my path-waves script... It guarantees that you have an integer number of triangles...

Attached Files
.xcfgz   TrianglesOnCircle.xcfgz (Size: 11.18 KB / Downloads: 279)
And come to think of it, path-to-shape can also do it, but you have to create a stroke with 30 points (only the first three need to be accurately placed).
Is there any particular reason to use text-along-a-path rather than one of the path-shape tools, ofnuts or maybe the old shape-path script?  http://registry.gimp.org/node/59

Bound to be a multi-triangle font somewhere but knocked up a quick 3 character "ABC" with fontforge

gives this. 

edit: the shape-path script  example

Thanks guys !

The idea was to write a tutorial that uses text along path, but with a different shape than letters.
My thinking was, that would be easier than using Scatter in Inkscape or another Gimp plug-in.

But ofnuts is right about the integer number of triangles.
Building a triangle in font-forge defies the original idea for simplicity, the path-shape script is an option.
(11-15-2016, 01:26 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Thanks guys !

The idea was to write a tutorial that uses text along path, but with a different shape than letters.
My thinking was, that would be easier than using Scatter in Inkscape or another Gimp plug-in.

But ofnuts is right about the integer number of triangles.
Building a triangle in font-forge defies the original idea for simplicity, the path-shape script is an option.

Where you are right is that the only thing Gimp's TAP is good for is putting text along a circle, because you can always fix the alignment by rotating the path. TAP along a random curve is hopeless because it will only do left-justification so you have to "accurately eyeball" where your text should start, and cut the path there.

Otherwise getting this kind of selection with "letters" is near impossible. Either the triangles don't overlap and all you get is a section on the triangles, or they do and you get a non-selection where they overlap.

But you can certainly do decorative things with dingbats (Wingdings fonts or else).
Check out dafont dingbat shapes

Smile
(11-17-2016, 07:40 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Check out dafont dingbat shapes

Thanks sallyanne, good call !
Unfortunately i couldnt find a dingbat with a triangle. Maybe i didnt look hard enough.

But i found another way here:
http://fsymbols.com/signs/triangle/

In windows there is something called 'Charmap'. A little program that displays all the special characters and you can copy and paste them.
But as ofnuts already pointed out, its very hard to impossible to use this to make a decent "pattern along path effect".

Too bad, it would have been a fun hack Smile
Not really what you asked for. But I thought I'd share anyways.

1) draw a triangle, on transparent layer.

2) then use Mura Meister Copies.
   Then specify rotation center and number of copies (this will divide those copies evenly to fit around a circle as it rotates).
   and you have a rough shape with edge artifacts,

3) Then you can alpha to selection the whole shape and drag a color to fill the whole shape.

Mura Meister Copies script can be found here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=...es#p193107
number of copies includes the original. so if you want 30 point shape just specify 30 for number of copies.
Interesting, trandoductin !

I had a script called Clone Layer Tool, which is probably capable of doing the same.
Havent used it since i learned Inkscape, though.