Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers, Channels, Transparency
(02-04-2017, 03:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is certainly worth updating, very easy to do with (k)ubuntu. You need to add a ppa

see: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasc...buntu/gimp

Still Gimp 2.8.18 I expect Gimp 2.8.20 will be there soon.

Thank you for responding.

I note from the ppa page that it is for ubuntu. I assume that kubuntu is also appropriate.

I note on the bottom of the ppa page:

'Adding this PPA to your system'

'You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp to your system's Software Sources.'

It does say 'untrusted'!

(02-04-2017, 06:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 02:53 PM)anon_private Wrote: Thank you.

After making adjustments to an image can I view it as it would be seen on a webpage, or, must I upload it to a site to complete the test?

Best wishes

Ps. I am using gimp 2.8.10 under kubuntu (14.10). Would you advise installing version 2.8.20, or, is there little difference between the programmes? My pc is a Dell Dimension E520, 1GB RAM, Pentium D (2.7GHz).
If it doesn't look the same way in Gimp than on the web site, it it is usually that the web site has done something to it. Just load your local file in your browser (File>Open in Firefox, or drag to Firefox/Chrome). If it OK there on not on the web site then either:
  • The file has been reencoded by the website.  This is not uncommon for large websites (Facebook...) and of course usually the image takes a beating in the process. Just save the image again from the web page and compare to your original file.
  • The HTML that includes the image enforces a size that is slightly different from its native size making the browser rescale the image on the fly. This is confirmed either by inspecting the HTML source or by making the browser open the image all by itself, which should restore it to is original size and quality.
Always better to have a few less bugs.... See Rich's indications on how to include Otto's PPA in your software sources. This provides updates to Gimp but also to the rather useful gimp-registry filters. However, with 1GB your computer is on the small side, especially if you run KDE.
Thank you.

The image of interest now has a transparent background. It looks fine in gimp. When I opened this file in Firefox the background appeared as grey - not transparent!

A couple of other questions:

The tool box has a feature to create ellipses. I expected it to form circles when holding down the shift key, but this action had no effect!

Is there a feature that creates solid coloured objects such as: spheres, arrows, lines, hexagons, etc.

Messages In This Thread
Layers, Channels, Transparency - by anon_private - 02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by Ofnuts - 02-03-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by Ofnuts - 02-03-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by Ofnuts - 02-04-2017, 06:11 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by rich2005 - 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by anon_private - 02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by Ofnuts - 02-05-2017, 05:07 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by Ofnuts - 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: Layers, Channels, Transparency - by rich2005 - 02-05-2017, 05:15 PM